Locksmith - Maintenance Operations
Interested in joining Milwaukee County? Milwaukee County is searching for authentic people who are out to change the game and bring their whole selves to work every day.
Milwaukee County oversees operations from our Airport, Behavioral Health, Child Support Enforcement, Combined Court Operations, Sheriffs Department, Community Reintegration Center, Human Services, Parks, Public Safety, Public Works, Fleet Operations, Transportation, and at the Zoo. Our departments are also dedicated to our Seniors in the Department on Aging, those with Disabilities, and Veterans Affairs. Our employees also remain committed to serve the cultural, human, recreational and social needs of the entire community.
Milwaukee County offers a wide variety of interesting jobs for people who want to make a difference in our community. Milwaukee County provides a competitive benefit package and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If disability related accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
We are searching for Changemakers to come and join our team and discover our diverse and versatile community of independent spirits and unique talents, we are redefining the way you think about Milwaukee County!
DAS – Facilities
Hourly Pay Range: $25.42 - $29.30
Closing Date: 10/09/2023 or upon receiving 50 applicants.
Job Summary: The Locksmith performs journeyman level work requiring expertise in all Facilities Managements buildings and jail locks, maintaining master systems for each facility. Repair different types of commercial building locks including ASSA, MEDICO, FOLDGER ADAMS, CORBIN RUSSWIN, and BRINKS. The ability to understand detention Paracentric, Mogul keys and locks, also sliding riot roll gates. Must understand Locksmith high tolerance key cutting machines and how to operate. Must have ability to use high tolerance measuring tools and blueprint reading skills, Work with Bio Metric key system, with the understanding of office Word and Excel, ability to work at times under emergency conditions. The Locksmith also maintains key card access system and maintain key catalogs. Maintain and ensure the security of key and access systems. Respond to 24/7 emergency calls for detention facilities, courtrooms, elected officials, and public areas.
- Complete Key and Lock Related Work Orders - Understand locksmith hardware, lock types and functions. Perform skilled locksmith work. Installing, repairing, and preventative maintenance of all types of locks including high security commercial and detention facility locks including Foldger Adams, Southern Steel, and Brinks. Creating keys such as barrel, high security, mogul and paracentrics. Ability to communicate in a professional manor. Share knowledge and cross train peers, particularly new coworkers.
- Shop Duties, Parts, and Inventory - Ensures that an adequate and appropriate stock of locksmith supplies and equipment is available for use by maintaining an inventory of supplies and equipment including key blanks, lock parts, levers and springs, knobs, and cylinders, preparing requisitions for replacements items as necessary, and storing the supplies and equipment in a secure storage facility.
- Master Key System - Maintains Master Key systems by keeping accurate records of key changes and new lock installations in each building, and repairing, maintaining, rebuilding, and creating cylinders for locks within a master key system.
- New Buildings and Renovations - Provides aid of existing or construction of new facilities by determining the requirements for locking devices and systems from blueprints, schematics, or sketches, making recommendations for such systems based upon knowledge of available products, and installing or monitoring the installation of locking devices or systems on renovated or newly constructed facilities. Determines established applicable hardware specifications for locks and locking devices by interpreting hardware schedules, blueprints, plans, sketches, work orders, etc.
- Teamwork, Customer Service, and Other Duties Assigned - Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds. Contributes to the overall success of the department by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Possession of a high school diploma or G.E.D OR equivalent required.
- Possession of a valid Wisconsin driver’s license required at time of application and maintained during incumbency is required.
- At least One (1) or more years of experience making keys and commercial lock repair and installation.
- Basic knowledge of Word and Excel.
- Basic knowledge of Key Watcher system software, card access system software, key cutting software.
- Must be able to work in all Milwaukee County facilities including secured detention/high-security facilities and work in areas with sensitive information and assets.
- Locksmiths working for government institutions are recognized as being “Institutional Locksmiths.” Their wages cannot be compared to residential or automotive locksmith wages. Institutional Locksmiths are in a separate industry serving governments and institutions as inhouse security experts with mechanical expertise and security system knowledge well above normal locksmiths. They are associated with the carpentry trade but do not enjoy union representation as employers separate them to insure loyalty. An ethical employer should compensate Institutional locksmiths parallel to carpenters because they are specialized from the carpentry trade.
Note: This Original Examination is open to current residents of the State of Wisconsin. The selection process will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods.
APPLICANTS MUST POSSESS MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AT TIME OF FILING APPLICATION.
Milwaukee County is committed to fostering an equitable working environment, free from discrimination and harassment, on the basis of any characteristic protected by law. We prohibit any form of discrimination, harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, pregnancy related condition, national origin, age, disability, FMLA status, sexual orientation, military status, marital status, or any other category or status that is now or in the future protected by federal, state, and local law. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing, background checks and pre-employment physicals subject to job requirements. If special accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
- Job Family 15 - Other
- Job Function 7 Skilled Craft Workers
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education High School
- Milwaukee, WI, USA