Zoo Seasonal Security Officer
Interested in joining Milwaukee County? Milwaukee County is searching for authentic people who are out to change the game and bring their whole selves to work every day.
Milwaukee County oversees operations from our Airport, Behavioral Health, Child Support Enforcement, Combined Court Operations, Sheriffs Department, Community Reintegration Center, Human Services, Parks, Public Safety, Public Works, Fleet Operations, Transportation, and at the Zoo. Our departments are also dedicated to our Seniors in the Department on Aging, those with Disabilities, and Veterans Affairs. Our employees also remain committed to serve the cultural, human, recreational and social needs of the entire community.
Milwaukee County offers a wide variety of interesting jobs for people who want to make a difference in our community. Milwaukee County provides a competitive benefit package and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If disability related accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
We are searching for Changemakers to come and join our team and discover our diverse and versatile community of independent spirits and unique talents, we are redefining the way you think about Milwaukee County!
Zoo Seasonal Security Officer
Hourly Range: $14.11 to 18.42
Job Summary: This position will resolve guest inquiries, comments and complaints. Be current with Milwaukee County Zoo (MCZ) knowledge and events. Uphold and enforce all Zoo policies. Provide traffic control for vehicles and pedestrians entering and exiting the Zoo. Complete Daily Activity Reports (DAR), Milwaukee County Injury-Illness-Accident-Loss Reports, along with all other assigned duties as required by the Security Supervisor or Zoo Manager.
- Maintain the security of the Zoo grounds by solving minor problems and assisting law enforcement and medical staff. Provide guests with excellent customer service with respect, honest and integrity.
- Be aware of current and upcoming events at the Zoo. Provide accurate and helpful information to guests requesting information or assistance. Be aware of information resources if not personally aware of the information requested from a Zoo guest.
- Educate our guests on the Zoo’s policies on smoking, service animals, carry-ins, alcohol, admission, parking, prohibited items and behaviors. Assure guest compliance with the involved policy, procedure and work rule. Set the example by assuring personal compliance with established Zoo policies, procedures and work rules.
- Provide documentation and monitoring of incoming traffic before and after Zoo operating hours. Assist Visitor Services with traffic direction as needed during open hours. Assist vendors and contractors with access to the proper locations within the Zoo. Assist emergency service and public safety responders with entry to and egress from the Zoo.
- Complete Daily Activity Reports (DAR), Milwaukee County Injury-Illness-Accident-Loss Reports, Video Review Requests, and all other reports as required by the Security Supervisor or Zoo Manager.
- Ensure the locking and securing of both the interior and exterior gates on Zoo grounds, as directed or required by policy. Effectively communicate in both written and verbal formats of all pertinent information in a timely manner to the Zoo switchboard.
- Assist in locating children and adults who become displaced from each other, ensuring safety with proper identification of both the child and adult. This includes persons with cognitive disabilities and physical concerns.
- Review Zoo issued ID badges for entry to the Zoo. Ensure non-paying guests conform to the Zoo Admissions Work Procedure and are issued a Visitor’s Pass.
- Assess developing situations on Zoo grounds and request the proper law enforcement services if an on-duty Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Deputy is not on the grounds. If an on-duty Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Deputy is on the grounds, assist as requested by the deputy.
- Current Resident of Wisconsin
- Valid Driver’s License required and must be maintained throughout employment
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required with at least Two (2) years of experience in Law Enforcement, Corrections or Private Security preferred
- Preferred - Actively pursuing or completion of degree in Criminal Justice with No experience.
Note: This Original Examination is open to current residents of the State of Wisconsin. The selection process will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods.
Milwaukee County is committed to fostering an equitable working environment, free from discrimination and harassment, on the basis of any characteristic protected by law. We prohibit any form of discrimination, harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, pregnancy related condition, national origin, age, disability, FMLA status, sexual orientation, military status, marital status, or any other category or status that is now or in the future protected by federal, state, and local law. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing, background checks and pre-employment physicals subject to job requirements. If special accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
- Job Family 6 - Natural Resources/Parks and Recreation
- Job Function 8 Service-Maintenance
- Pay Type Hourly
- Milwaukee, WI, USA