Interested in joining Milwaukee County? Milwaukee County is searching for authentic people who are out to change the game and bring their whole selves to work every day.
Milwaukee County oversees operations from our Airport, Behavioral Health, Child Support Enforcement, Combined Court Operations, Sheriffs Department, Community Reintegration Center, Human Services, Parks, Public Safety, Public Works, Fleet Operations, Transportation, and at the Zoo. Our departments are also dedicated to our Seniors in the Department on Aging, those with Disabilities, and Veterans Affairs. Our employees also remain committed to serve the cultural, human, recreational and social needs of the entire community.
Milwaukee County offers a wide variety of interesting jobs for people who want to make a difference in our community. Milwaukee County provides a competitive benefit package and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If disability related accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
We are searching for Changemakers to come and join our team and discover our diverse and versatile community of independent spirits and unique talents, we are redefining the way you think about Milwaukee County!
Department: Department of Transportation – Highway Maintenance
Full-Time Regular Schedule Monday - Friday 8-hour shifts (7am-3pm) year-round
Hourly Rate: $39.05
Closing Date: 12/11/2023 or upon receiving 50 applicant submissions
JOB SUMMARY: Under direction, to perform concrete work in the construction, alteration, and repair various types of bridges, structures, sidewalks, and pavement, curbs ,gutters, catch basins, bridge drain pipes and sewer pipes including basic carpentry skills for building and maintaining concrete forms.
- Finished concrete work. To perform concrete work in the construction, alteration, and repair of various types of bridges, structures, sidewalks, pavements, curbs, gutters. To pour, spread, tamp, level, shape, smooth and finish concrete. To operate cement edging, troweling, and finishing equipment.
- Construct, assemble, align, set, and remove forms including scaffolding. Construct and assemble wood forms and wooden frames structures, including the erecting and removing of scaffolding, for various concrete formations.
- To requisition supplies and materials. With the assistance of the Highway Maintenance Supervisor, to recommend and facilitate the necessary material purchases for each upcoming concrete project assigned to the Cement Masons.
- To perform and inspect unfinished cement block work. Construction and maintenance of catch basin block throughout the entire Milwaukee County Trunk and State Road sewer system, which include various types of drainage structures.
- General small tool maintenance and repair. To keep all power equipment and hand tools, consistent with the trade, in working condition.
- Lead crew member for concrete or block work projects. To direct the work and train non-trades personnel assisting with concrete construction projects.
- Current State of Wisconsin resident.
- Possession of a high school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent.
- Possession of a valid Wisconsin driver’s license at time of application and maintained during incumbency.
- Four (4) years of experience as journeyman Cement Mason OR approved Cement Mason apprenticeship and 2 years of experience as a journeyman.
- The ability to lift/carry up to 60lbs and push/pull up to 60lbs on a regular basis.
- A Completion of a registered Cement Mason or related field apprenticeship by the State of Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development. Recognized apprenticeship for Cement Mason and/or related (mud mixer, brick layer etc.) journeyman. (Note: An additional 2 years of experience as a journeyman Cement Mason may substitute for the required apprenticeship.)
- Block masonry experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities; Thorough knowledge of the standards, practices, materials, and processes of the craft; knowledge of the qualities and uses of cement; ability to analyze and work from blueprints and specifications; skill in the use and operation of tools and equipment. Exchange of basic information with internal and/or external contacts; Read, write and comprehend simple instructions, reports, short correspondence and memos; Speak effectively before both internal and/or external groups; Read, analyze, and interpret safety rules, operating/maintenance instructions and procedure manuals, scientific/technical journals and procedures, government regulations, financial and legal documents; Read, analyze, and interpret safety rules, operating/maintenance instructions and procedure manuals, scientific/technical journals and procedures, government regulations, financial and legal documents.
Special Instructions: This Original Examination is open to current residents of the state of Wisconsin. In accordance with Rule III section 11 of the Civil Service Rules a non-competitive examination will be held for this position. The non-competitive examination will consist of a review of candidate materials, education, and related experience.
Milwaukee County offers a comprehensive blend of benefits designed to make your life better both inside and outside of the workplace. Milwaukee County conducts criminal background checks and pre-employment drug testing.
PR 5404 Org Unit: 5404MS
Milwaukee County is committed to fostering an equitable working environment, free from discrimination and harassment, on the basis of any characteristic protected by law. We prohibit any form of discrimination, harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, pregnancy related condition, national origin, age, disability, FMLA status, sexual orientation, military status, marital status, or any other category or status that is now or in the future protected by federal, state, and local law. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing, background checks and pre-employment physicals subject to job requirements. If special accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
- Job Family 2 - Streets and Highways
- Job Function 7 Skilled Craft Workers
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $39.05
- 10320 W Watertown Plank Rd, Wauwatosa, WI 53226, USA