Sr Mechanical Engineer
Interested in joining Milwaukee County? Milwaukee County is searching for authentic people who are out to change the game and bring their whole selves to work every day.
Milwaukee County oversees operations from our Airport, Behavioral Health, Child Support Enforcement, Combined Court Operations, Sheriffs Department, Community Reintegration Center, Human Services, Parks, Public Safety, Public Works, Fleet Operations, Transportation, and at the Zoo. Our departments are also dedicated to our Seniors in the Department on Aging, those with Disabilities, and Veterans Affairs. Our employees also remain committed to serve the cultural, human, recreational and social needs of the entire community.
Milwaukee County offers a wide variety of interesting jobs for people who want to make a difference in our community. Milwaukee County provides a competitive benefit package and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If disability related accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
We are searching for Changemakers to come and join our team and discover our diverse and versatile community of independent spirits and unique talents, we are redefining the way you think about Milwaukee County!
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
Annual Salary Range: $93,579.20 to $111,280.00
Department of Administrative Services - Fiscal Affairs
Closing Date: 12/17/2023 @ 10:59 pm or upon recieving 50 applications.
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for leading and managing project teams in the planning, design, construction, and project management of capital improvement projects for Milwaukee County. Manage projects and provide subject matter expertise in the fields of mechanical engineering, mechanical systems, HVAC, plumbing, and other building systems. Provide exceptional customer service.
- Project Management - Act as project manager, team leader, and participate as a member in project teams, charged with the control of all aspects of projects including scope, schedule, budget, and quality. Support and develop a culture of project management excellence. Coordinate with project stakeholders, client department partners, and local, state, and federal agencies. Prepare technical studies, reports, estimates, preliminary and final designs, hire consultants and let and execute construction contracts. Ensure compliance with Milwaukee County public works ordinances and other local, state, and federal requirements. Lead the handoff of completed projects to client staff. Lead O&M training. Coordinate and ensure project closeout meet client and County requirements.
- Mechanical Engineering Subject Matter Expertise - Provide subject matter expertise in the fields of mechanical engineering, mechanical systems, HVAC, plumbing, and other building systems for Milwaukee County. Develop and set design, construction and operation and maintenance standards and guidance within the field of mechanical engineering. Provide technical guidance and expert opinions. Provide quality assurance and quality control reviews of design plans and specifications. Work with client departments to develop project scopes and cost estimates.
- Client Department Program Management - Manage client department capital improvement programs. Oversee and support project managers under program. Ensure accountability to program and client requirements. Manage client and business sponsor relationships. Provide clear and transparent reporting to stakeholders. Collaborate with client departments to develop capital improvement programs, project scopes and budget estimates, and prepare capital budget requests. Support overall Milwaukee County project portfolio success. Work effectively in a matrix organization.
- Must be a current resident of Wisconsin.
- Must possess a valid Wisconsin Driver’s License
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in Mechanical engineering, project management.
- Preferred: A State of Wisconsin P.E. (Professional Engineer) license
- Must have thorough knowledge of theories, principles, and practices of mechanical engineering. Familiarity with theories, principles, and practices of construction.
- Ability to prepare analytical engineering reports on complex public works projects.
NOTE: This original application is open to permanent residents of the state of Wisconsin at the time of application. In accordance with Section 11, Rule 3 of the Civil Service Rules a non-competitive examination will be held for this position. The non-competitive examination will consist of criteria deemed appropriate by the Director of Human Resources.
Milwaukee County is committed to fostering an equitable working environment, free from discrimination and harassment, on the basis of any characteristic protected by law. We prohibit any form of discrimination, harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, pregnancy related condition, national origin, age, disability, FMLA status, sexual orientation, military status, marital status, or any other category or status that is now or in the future protected by federal, state, and local law. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing, background checks and pre-employment physicals subject to job requirements. If special accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
- Job Family 15 - Other
- Job Function 2 Professionals
- Pay Type Salary
- Travel Required Yes
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Milwaukee, WI, USA