Glass Technical Manager
The Glass Technical Manager will report directly to the Director of Technology and Projects or his/her designate, with a dotted line to the Glass Plant Manager. The Glass Technical Manger will be responsible for providing technical support primarily to the Glass Operations and Sales team, and customers. This position will also be expected to support the production plants and overall quality control system. The successful candidate will be a result-driven, motivated problem solver with excellent organization, time management, and decision-making skills.
The Glass Technical Manager position is responsible and accountable for establishing a corporate quality assurance system that promotes customer satisfaction and that positively impacts the financial performance of Opta Waterdown Inc.
- Solve technical issues or concerns with existing glass products at production plants and customer sites as required.
- Provide glass facility engineering support as required.
- Develop and implement new products using beneficiated glass; develop relationships with universities for appropriate research.
- Recommend product formula to meet or exceed customer expectations (Product Quality Assurance).
- Review manufacturing techniques/processes to ensure proper application of raw materials and glass beneficiation (including supply contract requirements).
- Assists in development, implementation, management, and integration of a QMS (Quality Management System) for glass beneficiation and operations plants.
- Establishes and implements metrics (process capability, control charts, measurement quality) for monitoring system effectiveness and to enable managers to make sound product quality decisions.
- Assist Sales with RFQ system (for Product Development Process).
- Provide product design/application training to Sales or Technical teams when needed.
- Maintain technical relationship with product sales teams and distributors.
- Update sales & plant production teams regularly on status of customer requirements to ensure accurate flow of information.
- Analyzes customers’ product specifications to establish efficient, cost-effective requirements for ease of manufacture and reproducibility.
- Communicate with departments as needed: Sales, Operations, Technical/Quality, Purchasing, Finance, Health and Safety, IT
- Travel to various locations within Canada and US to support glass production processes, observe applications and conduct trials at customer plants.
- Provide and present periodic customer process reports at customer locations.
- Analyze performance data from trials, evaluate mode of failure, and improve products accordingly to meet customer needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Thorough understanding of Quality standards and methodologies.
- Thorough understanding of manufacturing and production in an industrial environment.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Proficient in using Microsoft excel
- Strong computer literacy skills required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in chemical, mechanical, metallurgical or materials science Engineering preferred
- Minimum 5+ years’ experience in similar role or educational equivalent
- Experience working within the construction materials industry, recycling industry or equivalent is a plus.
- Supervisory experience in similar roles preferred.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds at a time.
Opta offers a diverse compensation and benefit package that includes the following:
- Extended Healthcare, Dental, and Vision Benefits
- Healthcare Spending Account
- Life, AD&D, and Dependent Life Insurance
- Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee & Family Assistance Program
- Professional Development
- Paid Time Off
- RRSP Match
- Competitive Compensation program
- On Demand Pay (Dayforce Wallet)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Opta Inc., an Opta Group Company, is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, we will work with you to meet your needs.
- Pay Type Salary
- Waterdown, Hamilton, ON L0R, Canada