Retail Café Manager (40-45 hours/week)
TITLE: Café’ Manager DEPARTMENT: Management
STATUS: Full-time, Manager, At-Will, Hourly or Salaried REPORTS TO: Store Manager
JOB SUMMARY: To ensure the highest level of service possible to Outpost’s internal and external customers. To ensure an organized and smoothly run café’ department including ordering, pricing, and inventory control. To manage, motivate, and provide café’ staff with the tools required to be successful in their jobs. To meet department objectives for sales, margin, and labor goals.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Fast paced retail floor and kitchen. Work near moving mechanical parts (i.e. coffee/juice machines, ovens, etc.) and in cold/hot climate conditions (i.e. cooler or near stove). Ability to work in moderate and loud noise environments including, but not limited to: computers, paging, telephones, human voices, and machinery. Position requires working during busy retail times, which include weekends, afternoons, and evenings.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
1. Customer Service
- Treat people fairly, consistently, and with respect.
- Ensure efficient, informative, and friendly service according to established customer service vision and standards.
2. Café’ Manager Responsibilities
- Model supportive and participatory leadership qualities, promote team building and motivate staff to achieve their stated objectives.
- Treat staff and managers with consistency and fairness, in a style appropriate to a cooperative work environment.
- Ensure that communications are clear, direct, and respectful.
- Ensure the integrity of Outpost’s stated values in decision-making and interactions with others.
- Use the interest-based problem solving method to resolve issues
- Ensure professional and friendly service from all café’ staff.
- Act as a model to all employees following both the union contract and employee handbook.
Ordering and Pricing
- In coordination with director of food services, negotiate with suppliers for favorable prices, terms, quality, and delivery.
- Purchase products and supplies for department according to store guidelines. Coordinate product selection with DFS.
- Ensure adequate supply of products keeping out of stocks to a minimum.
- Receive and process orders to ensure food quality and safety. Check condition and invoice accuracy on all deliveries.
- Ensure correct product rotation.
- Review invoices for accuracy, price changes, and product additions. Process updates with pricing.
- Coordinate returns and credit from suppliers when needed and ensure that staff know how to do the same.
- Ensure accurate up-to-date price labeling of department items.
- Establish prices based on margin goals.
- Work with DFS to develop and introduce new products that reflect the seasonality of ingredients.
- Ensure staff are available to meet customers’ requests and needs.
- Ensure daily tasks are assigned to ensure productive work flow.
- Ensure that all unsellable items are properly disposed.
- Ensure café’ equipment is maintained and properly serviced. Advise store manager of equipment repair/replacement needs.
- Coordinate vendor returns with receiving. Keep accurate records of department transfers, credits, and losses.
- Maintain and update department’s standard operating procedures (SOP’s). Ensure staff is aware of and trained in department SOP’s.
- Conduct quarterly inventory.
Sanitation and Security
- Enforce department procedures according to HAACP guidelines to ensure safe food handling and preparation.
- Ensure that café’ display units, coolers, work areas, storage areas, and floors are in clean and orderly condition and meet all Health Department requirements.
- Ensure staff is following safety, sanitation and security procedures.
- Develop and uphold performance standards for all café’ staff.
- Schedule café’ staff according to weekly labor budget and quarterly cost of labor. Arrange for coverage of vacant shifts and fill in as needed.
- Hire qualified café’ staff within established policies.
- Ensure training for all department staff. Successfully complete training checklists with new department staff.
- Motivate and provide café’ staff with the tools and materials required to ensure high quality and efficient job performance.
- Provide timely, thorough and thoughtful performance evaluations to department staff.
- Take corrective counseling measures and/or disciplinary action as needed for all department staff, according to established personnel policies.
- Ensure that department meetings are conducted to maintain effective communication with staff.
- Ensure displays and shelves are fully stocked, rotated, fronted, and faced. Set stocking priorities for department staff. Stock items as needed.
- Ensure proper shelf tags and sale signs are on shelves and displays.
- Plan attractive displays. Coordinate displays and specials with visual merchandiser.
- Cross merchandise products with other departments.
Budgeting and Planning
- Attend management team meetings.
- Meet the established goals for margin, labor costs, sales and inventory.
- Work with store manager to develop annual operating budget, production projections, capital budget, and equipment needs.
- Work MOD shifts as scheduled, with focus on total store operations.
- Perform all other duties included in department coordinator, assistant, journeyperson, and clerk job descriptions.
3. All Staff Duties
- Abide by all Co-op policies and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook and other company documents.
- Keep store/office orderly and clean.
- Maintain a positive attitude.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by Store Manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Background in culinary arts, food service and/or restaurant management
- Demonstrated ability to adhere to sanitation and production guidelines
- Previous management experience - hiring, training, and evaluating
- Knowledge of natural foods and the natural foods industry
- Experience in planning, developing, and implementing systems, procedures and policies
- Attention to detail and good organizational skills
- Ability to handle multiple demands, work under time pressures, and meet deadlines
- Willingness to be open, to learn, and take on new responsibilities
- Demonstrate objectivity, neutrality and calmness under pressure
- Regular, predictable attendance
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Effective communication skills in English
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions
- Ability to appropriately delegate work duties and manage and motivate staff
- Demonstrated ability to follow through on commitments
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Standing, walking, bending, sitting, reaching
- Using hands or fingers to handle or feel
- Pay Type Salary
- Mequon, WI, USA