Refrigeration and Facilities Maintenance Technician (M-F, 8-4)
TITLE: Facilities Maintenance Manager DEPARTMENT: Facilities & Maintenance
STATUS: FT, Manager, At-Will, Salaried REPORTS TO: Operations Manager
JOB SUMMARY: To ensure the highest level of service possible to Outpost’s internal and external customers. Hands-on maintenance of equipment, fixtures, and facilities for all locations. To oversee and direct the daily activities and responsibilities of the Facilities Maintenance staff to ensure that facility systems and equipment are maintained and serviced.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work near moving mechanical parts (i.e., store equipment, tools, etc.), in high precarious places (i.e. ladders, roof), and in cold/hot climate conditions (i.e. outdoors). Work in an environment with loud noises (i.e., equipment and machinery). Job related travel within metro Milwaukee area. Varied schedule as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
1. Customer Service
- Treat people fairly, consistently, and with respect.
- Ensure efficient, informative, and friendly service according to established customer service vision and standards.
2. Primary Responsibilities
- Model supportive and participatory leadership qualities, promote team building and motivate staff to achieve their stated objectives.
- Treat staff and managers with consistency and fairness, in a style appropriate to a cooperative work environment.
- Ensure that communications are clear, direct, and respectful.
- Ensure the integrity of Outpost’s stated values in decision-making and interactions with others.
- Use the interest-based problem-solving method to resolve issues
- Ensure professional and friendly service from all maintenance staff.
- Act as a model to all employees following both the union contract and employee handbook.
- Confer with Operations Manager and Location Managers on issues of equipment repairs and facility improvements.
- Replace existing equipment as directed by Operations Manager.
- Complete construction projects within timeline set with minimal disruption or inconvenience to fellow staff and customers. Work after hours if necessary.
- Ensure location equipment is operational, serviced regularly, and maintained to minimize downtime.
- Review and assign maintenance requests from all locations based on priority and ensure maintenance activities are properly documented and carried out.
- Supervise the proper handling, storage, and disposal of hazardous chemicals and dangerous wastes to ensure compliance with OSHA, EPA, State, and local regulations.
- Maintain Safety Data Sheets for all maintenance chemicals, paints, fluids, etc. used on the job.
- Maintain excellent vendor relations with those who supply products and services to stores regarding equipment, fixtures, etc.
- Follow safety guidelines in regard to lifting, cutting equipment, baler, pallet jack operation, etc.
- Research cost effective and environmentally friendly supplies and products for purchase.
- Coordinate and monitor maintenance functions relating to plumbing, electrical, HVAC, refrigeration, and cosmetic items such as painting, floor coverings, grounds maintenance, etc.
- Perform minor electrical troubleshooting and repair to include but not limited to replacement or repair of fixtures (e.g., wall switches and outlets, incandescent and fluorescent bulbs and tubes, ballast, sockets, fuses, minor appliances, cords, etc.) using appropriate hand, power, and specialty tools.
- Performs minor plumbing troubleshooting and repair (e.g., replacement or repair of leaks in drains and faucets, unclogging of drains, trenching, and laying new lines, replacing drain hoses on washers and similar devices, etc.).
- Performs minor painting, carpentry, and masonry work (e.g., preparing surfaces and using brush, sprayer, or roller to apply paints, stains, and varnishes, hanging doors, fitting locks, and handles, etc.).
- Performs preventative maintenance and troubleshooting and basic repairs on HVAC units.
- Supervise and administer preventative maintenance (PM) service and inspections of small appliances, machines, and equipment. Examine defective machines to determine causes of malfunctions. Adjust and repair machines, replacing worn or defective electrical or mechanical parts.
- Recommend changes and improvements to implement new PM procedures.
- Reconfigures, installs, positions, and remounting of modular offices and space (e.g., furniture, work surfaces, lighting, etc.) to accommodate user needs and maximize office space using various hand, power and specialty tools, dollies, and hand trucks.
- Using carpentry skills and metal welding, able to fabricate custom pieces or items as needed.
- Complete special cleaning projects as needed.
- Participate in the preparation and administration of the facilities maintenance budget.
- Manage department resources, including work assignments, training, cross-training, personnel issues, hiring decisions, performance appraisals, budgets, motivation efficiency, capacity, and accuracy of work.
- Develop and uphold performance standards for all maintenance staff.
- Schedule staff according to labor budget and quarterly cost of labor. Arrange for coverage of vacant shifts and fill in as needed.
- Hire qualified staff within established policies.
- Ensure training for all department staff. Successfully complete training checklists with new department staff.
- Motivate and provide staff with the tools and materials required to ensure high quality and efficient job performance.
- Provide timely, thorough and thoughtful performance evaluations to department staff.
- Provide corrective counseling measures and/or disciplinary action as needed for all department staff, according to established personnel policies.
- Ensure that department meetings are conducted to maintain effective communication with staff.
- All Staff Duties
- Abide by all Co-op policies and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook and other company documents.
- Keep store/office orderly and clean.
- Maintain a positive attitude.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by Operations Manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Minimum 5 years of facility and equipment maintenance experience in electrical, refrigeration, plumbing, food service equipment, and building operations
- Certification in Refrigeration/HVAC
- Type II Environmental Protection Agency Certification for Refrigerant handling
- Prior supervisory experience in a related field preferred
- Basic carpentry skills
- Must have current driver’s license, automobile insurance, and a clean driving record
- Analytical ability and proficiency in math
- Ability to safely operate machinery
- Attention to detail and good organizational skills
- Ability to handle multiple demands, work under time pressures, and meet deadlines
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Excel, and Word
- Willingness to be open, to learn, and take on new responsibilities
- Demonstrate objectivity, neutrality, and calmness under pressure
- Ability to follow through on systems and procedures
- Effective communication skills in English
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to be flexible and to adapt to changing conditions quickly
- Demonstrated ability to follow through on commitments
- Ability to supervise and train staff
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability and mobility to walk, stand, and sit for prolonged periods of time
- Ability and mobility to frequently stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb, reach, twist, grasp, and make repetitive hand movements
- Ability to lift and carry up to 80 pounds and push/pull up to 200 pounds
- Ability to team lift over 100 lbs. regularly
- Ability to climb up and down ladders and work at height of up to 30 feet
- High level of maneuverability
- Regular use of sharp cutting instruments
- Use hands or fingers to handle or feel
- Specific vision ability: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and adjust focus
- Ability to use feet and hands to operate machinery and company vehicle(s)
- Ability to work inside, outside, confined areas, extreme heat, extreme cold, with noise and vibration, high places, fumes/odors, and in dirt/dust
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE:
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors, requirements, and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that the employee may be required to perform. The employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business, competitive considerations, or a work environment change.
- Pay Type Salary
- Min Hiring Rate $65,000.00
- Max Hiring Rate $80,000.00
- Milwaukee, WI, USA