Crisis Assistance Program CAP Coordinator I
Close: When Filled
Job Title: Crisis Assistance Program Coordinator I
Department: Crisis Assistance Program
Reports To: Crisis Assistance Program Director
Hours: 40 HRS/WK - FT
Under the general supervision of the Program Manager, provides program assistance to eligible Puyallup Tribal Members and U.S. Federally recognized Native Americans according to grant and program guidelines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists with the Energy Assistance Program and the Tribal Crisis Assistance Program by working with the appropriate utility to make pledges for payment by phone, fax, e-mail, whichever is appropriate or specific to the utility.
- Determines whether the Tribal Member is in compliance with the program in order to receive assistance.
- Prepares check requests and routes for signature.
- Assists the Program Manager in compiling resource/networking information lists for energy management, affordable housing, food banks, utility assistance or other resources for clients.
- Follows internal program procedures by obtaining back-up documentation pertaining to move-in rental assistance or late notice of rent/eviction notice, late/past due mortgage assistance prior to processing requests for clients. Verifies that client actually is the property owner or tenant.
- Responsible for accurate and timely processing of correspondence to vendors. Creates interoffice memos and letters as requested by the Program Manager. Responsible for sending denial letters to Tribal Members to utilize other programs.
- Works with clients to determine income eligibility with regard to Federal guidelines when client requires LIHEAP assistance.
- Follows internal program procedures to verify that clients requesting LIHEAP assistance have not utilized funds from other local agencies within the current fiscal year.
- Responsible for obtaining back-up documentation from clients using LIHEAP funds such as current Tribal ID, energy bill with applicant’s name, social security cards for all members of the household, consent letters for all adults over the age of 18 in the household, income verification for all adults residing in the household.
- Responsible for determining amount of federal grant energy aid available to clients and applying restrictions to ensure assistance for heating/electrical usage only.
- Assists Program Manager in expending LIHEAP funds available in each fiscal year by determining community needs, obtaining quote/pricing information, quantities needed. Assists in the purchase and distribution of items to selected recipients.
- Responsible for accurately and timely inputting data entry of program activity into database.
- Assists Program Manager in researching false or fraudulent requests for assistance, including providing information to the Law Enforcement and/or Prosecutor’s office.
- Occasionally acts as Team Leader when Manager is unavailable.
- Maintains strict confidence at all times.
- Performs all other duties as necessary.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications and Requirements
Education and/or Experience
High School Diploma or GED required; and three years of progressively responsible administrative support experience with Tribal assistance programs. or equivalent combination of education and experience. Intermediate experience and intermediate knowledge using word processing, and spreadsheets (i.e. Word for Windows, Excel, etc.) is required. Intermediate skill level to work in Access is necessary and required for this position.
Employee must demonstrate the ability to interact tactfully and positively with Tribal members, all levels of staff and management. Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions. Ability to effectively present information to management, employees and groups of people.
Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
Ability to apply common sense, understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Licenses or Certificates
Must have and maintain a valid Washington State drivers license and proof of insurance.
Good people skills, communication skills, records management skills, and organizational skills.
Must be able to maintain confidentiality at all times.
Must have ability to prioritize the importance of requests and process them timely and accurately.
Must maintain professional composure at all times.
May occasionally require work after hours or on weekend.
- Requires the ability to operate a typewriter, personal computer, multi-line telephone, calculator, facsimile and photocopier.
- Requires the ability to read, write, communicate, and interpret information accurately in English.
- Requires the ability to concentrate and consistently produce accurate work.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee occasionally is required to stand and walk.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level is low to moderate.
- The physical exertion is low to moderate.
- Work is performed in an office setting.
- There are frequent employee and customer/client contacts and interruptions during the day.
- Requires occasional out of area travel using employee’s own transportation.
- Employee may be exposed to outside weather conditions.
- Position may be stressful at times due to the sensitive or confidential issues being addressed.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Indian Preference Employer as Required by Law
- Pay Type Hourly
- 3009 Portland Ave E, Tacoma, WA 98404, USA