Technologies - Database Administrator
Close: When Filled
Job Title: Database Administrator Department: Information Technologies
Position Summary: A professional database administrator (DBA) will keep the database up and running smoothly 24/7. The goal is to provide a seamless flow of information throughout the company, considering both backend data structure and frontend accessibility for end-users.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Build database systems of high availability and quality depending on each end user’s specialized role
- Design and implement database in accordance to end users information needs and views
- Define users and enable data distribution to the right user, in appropriate format and in a timely manner
- Use high-speed transaction recovery techniques and backup data
- Minimize database downtime and manage parameters to provide fast query responses
- Provide proactive and reactive data management support and training to users
- Determine, enforce and document database policies, procedures and standards
- Perform tests and evaluations regularly to ensure data security, privacy and integrity
- Monitor database performance, implement changes and apply new patches and versions when required
- Oversees the day-to-day operation of computer networks including hardware/software support, training, and special projects
- Analyzes and troubleshoots the network logs and tracks the nature and resolution of problems
- Monitors usage to ensure security of data and access privileges
- Assists in maintaining both physical and virtual network servers and appliances
- Installs, maintains, and troubleshoots the Storage Area Network (SAN)
- Establishes and maintains user accounts, profiles, file sharing, access privileges and security
- Researches, analyzes, monitors, troubleshoots and resolves data and voice network problems
- Develops, maintains and implements network support, and archiving procedures
- Researches and evaluates new technologies related to computer networking
- Assists in planning, coordinating and consulting with vendors and clients for hardware/software purchases, product services and support
- Recommends and specifies the purchase of related products and services
- Keeps current regarding new hardware/software products for system enhancements
- Assists and provides support to the Technical Support Group as necessary
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications and Requirements
Education and/or Experience
Proven working experience as a Database administrator
Hands-on experience with database standards and end user applications
Excellent knowledge of data backup, recovery, security, integrity and SQL
Familiarity with database design, documentation and coding
Previous experience with DBA case tools (frontend/backend) and third party tools
Familiarity with programming languages API
Problem solving skills and ability to think algorithmically
BS degree in a computer discipline or relevant certification
Microsoft MCSE or other SQL Database certification and six years working as a database administrator;
Microsoft Azure Database Administrator Associate certification and four years working as a database administrator.
Must demonstrate expert understanding of MSSQL Server, as well as: Windows Server administration, SQL database migrations, Microsoft Access, MSSQL DAGs, ACLs, database security and optimization. Knowledge of networking and IPv6 a plus.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Other Skills and Abilities
Must have a valid and unrestricted Washington State Driver’s License. Driver’s License must not contain any restrictions that would otherwise prevent an employee from driving a GSA vehicle.
Must be detailed oriented.
Must adhere to strict rules regarding confidentiality.
Must successfully pass a background check prior to and periodically throughout employment.
- Requires the ability to operate a typewriter, personal computer, multi-line telephone, calculator, facsimile, photocopier, ten-key.
- Requires the ability to read, write, communicate, and interpret information accurately in English.
- Requires the ability to concentrate and consistently produce accurate work.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee occasionally is required to stand and walk.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level is moderate.
- The physical exertion is low to moderate.
- Work is performed in an office setting.
- There are frequent contacts and interruptions during the day.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Indian Preference Employer as Required by Law
- Pay Type Hourly
- 3009 Portland Ave E, Tacoma, WA 98404, USA