Tribal Council - Office Assistant (Puyallup Tribal Members Only)
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians is committed to protecting and exercising the inherent inalienable sovereign rights of the Tribe and Individuals in the interest of the Medicine Creek Treat Territories, as stewards to ensure preservation of our cultural and environmental integrity for common good and prosperity for all.
Closes: December 21st, 2023
Department: Tribal Council Offices
Reports To: Lead Secretary
Hours: 40 Hours/Week - Full Time
Salary: Per Salary Matrix + Benefits*
***Must be an enrolled Puyallup Tribal Member***
This position serves at the pleasure of the Tribal Council and provides general office and secretarial support. Keeps official records for the Puyallup Tribal Government.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Greets the public by telephone and personal inquiries. Makes referrals and obtains information. Routes telephone calls to appropriate departmental personnel. Must maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
- Promptly provides information to membership and assists members with the governmental program and procedures either by phone, e-mail or in face-to-face meetings.
- Assists the public by checking records and files for requested information; provides information and forms to the public as needed.
- Operates a variety of office equipment including multi-line telephone, copiers, postage meters, facsimile machines, scanners and computers; input and retrieve data and text; organize and maintain filing.
- Collects, logs and routes all mail daily coming into the Puyallup Tribal Council Offices and file as needed.
- Responsible for accurately and timely filing of all Council Determination Reports (CDR), Council Members filing, FYI filing and all Sport Sponsorship filing and scans.
- Collects, stamps, reviews and inputs into Data Base agenda request forms (ARF).
- Routes all documents receiving Council action to the related department.
- Provides back-up for other staff members as needed.
- Keeps an inventory of all office supplies.
- Initiates and maintains contact with vendor for supplies and services.
- Maintains cleanliness of Council offices surrounding, i.e. coffee station, Chambers Art Room, lobby area, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications and Requirements
Education and/or Experience
HS Diploma/GED and two years of experience must be in a support position to senior management; or satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience. Intermediate experience and knowledge using word processing and spreadsheets (i.e. Word for Windows, Excel, Access, etc.) required. Must be able to accurately type 34-45 WPM.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from employees working in the department, Tribal members and the general public.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Must have an understanding of all department programs in order to provide accurate referral information to membership and staff.
- Ability to perform accurate work in a stressful setting while tactfully dealing with angry, upset or frustrated individuals.
- Must demonstrate cultural sensitivity and be able to keep sensitive issues confidential.
- Must be a self-starter, an independent worker and efficient.
- Must be a Puyallup Tribal Member
- Must have and maintain a valid and unrestricted Driver’s License and proof of auto insurance required. Driver’s License must not contain any restrictions that would otherwise prevent an employee from operating a GSA vehicle and complying with the Tribe’s Vehicle Use Policy.
- Requires the ability to operate a personal computer, multi-line telephone, calculator, facsimile and photocopier.
- Requires the ability to read, write, communicate, and interpret information accurately in English.
- Requires the ability to concentrate and consistently produce accurate work.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, sit, climb or balance, and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level is low to moderate.
- The physical exertion is low to moderate.
- Work is performed in an office setting.
- There are frequent employee contacts and interruptions during the day.
- May interact with angry or hostile individuals.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Indian Preference Employer as Required by Law
Native American preference applies and job placements are given on a competitive basis, using job related factors. Because of the large number of applications received and limited job positions, your application will not guarantee employment.
- Pay Type Hourly
- 3009 Portland Ave E, Tacoma, WA 98404, USA