The Drive is the chronicle of car culture. As one of America’s most-read automotive enthusiast outlets, we serve millions of readers every month with the most important auto industry news and analysis, motorsports highlights, cultural deep-dives, car reviews, technical explainers, DIY advice, and more. We celebrate the past and present of our collective passion while giving our audience the tools and perspective to prepare for the future at a transformative time.
Now, The Drive seeks a new Staff Writer to join our ranks and grow our position as a must-read daily destination. As a key member of our editorial team, you’ll tap into your deep knowledge of the auto industry and car culture to shape our regular news coverage, source creative story leads, carry out original reporting assignments, review new cars, and more.
The ideal candidate will be an all-around excellent writer with a demonstrated ability to jump between a wide variety of automotive or transportation-related subjects, work in a fast-paced newsroom environment, and use site traffic trends to make decisions. The right Staff Writer will also be comfortable with traditional reporting techniques. Most importantly, they must share our goal of building a truly great automotive brand, our constant hunger for finding the next great story, and our conviction that writing about cars is a job that truly matters.
The Staff Writer will report to the site’s News Editor. The Drive is a part of Recurrent Ventures, a virtual-first media company with offices in New York, Miami, and San Francisco.
- Writing 2-3 stories per day on topics ranging from new product announcements, industry scandals, viral videos/social media moments, engineering breakdowns, motorsports coverage, oddball automotive history, transportation policy, and general breaking news.
- Constantly contributing original ideas for stories with an eye on audience trends.
- Leveraging industry knowledge and sources to generate exclusive scoops.
- Reviewing cars following our established guidelines and formats.
- Pitching and executing longform features to a high editorial standard as time allows.
- Traveling to events—occasionally on weekends—as required for coverage.
- Outstanding writing skills.
- At least two years of experience in a digital newsroom, preferably focused on the auto industry or technology—OR a portfolio of published clips showcasing your work.
- Fluency with basic reporting techniques including cold calling, filing public records requests, pulling court documents, and more.
- Strong understanding of the current automotive industry landscape: the biggest players, trends, storylines, and events worth covering.
- Clean driving record, experience operating a manual transmission is preferred.
- Experience with photography and/or Photoshop is a plus.
- Obsessed with cars, transportation, and the endless supply of stories in those spaces.
- Team player attitude: willing to pitch in on a large variety of subjects, pivot according to newsroom needs, and do whatever is needed to make The Drive the best it can be every day.
- Sharp news judgment and an eye for fresh angles on trending topics
- Able to stay organized and meet deadlines while handling overlapping assignments in a fluid environment
- Hungry for the opportunity to engage with millions of readers
- Job Family Editorial
- Pay Type Salary
- Min Hiring Rate $55,000.00
- Max Hiring Rate $70,000.00