Internship, Popular Science
Popular Science is seeking a part-time intern to join our remote newsroom for up to a twelve week period from September to October.
At PopSci, we love geeking out about breakthrough research and finding compelling science, tech, and DIY angles to mainstream topics. We’re authoritative without taking ourselves too seriously (it’s why we’ve stuck around for more than 150 years), and we like writing about weird animals as much as about the ongoing climate crisis.
To help us in this quest, PopSci hires part-time interns during the spring, summer, and fall. The relatively small staff and open atmosphere at our publication give interns access to all parts of the publication process. You will spend each week on a different desk (science, DIY, tech, gear, news, and social media) working with the editors in charge. You can also plan day-long reporting trips, attend media-only events, meet pros from our sister brands, and more. If you want to get involved with something, we can usually make it happen!
The deadline to apply for the Fall Internship is August 04, 2023. We are looking for a candidate who can commit to 20 hours per week for the duration of the internship period. There is some flexibility to the start and end dates. This is a remote position that pays $15.00 per hour.
- Writing for the website and quarterly PopSci+ issues, including embargoed studies, service guides, creative explainers, field-reported features, and gear roundups.
- Fact checking scripts and story drafts.
- Managing Wordpress CMS duties.
- Participating in big editorial brainstorms.
- Crafting social media posts.
- Pitching to be on our podcasts.
- Learning SEO best practices.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in or recently graduated from an accredited four year college or university program majoring in Journalism, English, or other related field.
- If currently enrolled, applicants must have completed at least two consecutive semesters of university coursework.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have authorization to work legally for any employer in the US.
- Harbors a passion for science reporting in the fields of health, technology, DIY, physics, climate, space, sustainability, and/or consumer goods, as well as a demonstrated interest in magazine, online, and/or multimedia journalism.
- Holds reliable access to the internet and a computer.
- Can be available during East Coast business hours.
Please include a one-page cover letter, a resume, and three to five writing samples in your application. If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Job Family Editorial
- Pay Type Hourly
- Employment Indicator Internship
- Travel Required No
- Miami, FL, USA