PositionPurpose:the sous chef assists the executive chef in the daily activities of the kitchen, including menu development, inventory, purchasing of supplies and cost control.
- Responsible for kitchen logistics when chef is absent or assisting chef when he is present (specific examples: scheduling, payroll, menu descriptions)
- Assist with staff food training and the generation of the necessary training materials (creating recipes other can follow, scheduling tastings to keep the quality of product consistent, teaching about ingredients and their origin, etc.)
- Continually review and manage performance of all culinary staff and share feedback with chef (monitor all cooks and their work, coach when improvements are needed, alert upper management if there are problems, etc.)
- Understand, follow and direct others in current safety procedures
- Maintain the quality and the presentation of food to achieve favorable guest feedback and reviews on Open Table and other sites including social media, etc.
- Assist in and do preparation of the dishes while training others to achieve consistency
- Follow each dish presentation as set up by chef and achieve 100% consistency during service
- Continually assist in creating of new offerings (specials and seasonal menu changes)
- Follow company procedures to ensure proper and accurate food ordering
- Maintain proper inventory of food items – make sure we don’t run out, make sure food produce is always fresh, etc.
- Assist chef in keeping the food cost and labor cost aligned to given goals
- Maintain strong communication with front of the house management at all times
- Assist chef with proposals of the menu changes hand in hand with costing, ingredient search and tasting preparations
- Assist chef in following procedures when it comes to menu changes (introducing the dishes, creating menu descriptions, organizing tasting for service staff in timely manner, etc.)
- Keep all culinary and back of the house documentation up to date including, but not limited to:
- Job Duties and Opening/Closing Checklists
- Food Operations Manual/ Recipe Book
- Personnel Forms – such as new hire paperwork, termination form, etc. (please ask office for instructions if needed)
- Attend all meetings requested by chef or FOH managers
- Check company OUTLOOK for all incoming email communication
- Participate in Avero reporting / Remain up to date with daily reports
- Ensure compliance with all health department rules and regulations to pass the inspections
- Be present in the kitchen during the service of all meal periods you are scheduled for: breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner.
- Prepare and cook dishes according to the recipes while following the pace of orders
- Communicate last minute menu changes, 86 items efficiently to front of the house team (in the absence of chef)
- Communicate all food-related issues to the appropriate to front of the house team (in the absence of chef)
- Introduce and organize tasting of all menu changes and daily specials for service staff (to be coordinated with front of the house management team in the absence of chef)
It is understood that as the Sous Chef you are responsible to maintain current knowledge of the world of foods and ingredients. You will be required to continually develop this knowledge on your own time and follow the current successful local trends. G&D Restaurant Associates Company will assist in any way possible with any educational goals that relate to your work duties and responsibilities
Minimal Essential Requirements:
- The ability to work as part of a team, and personal cleanliness
- Ability to communicate and understand direction in English to ensure safety in the workplace. Ability to understand, respond, and engage with co-workers, managers, and guests in English.
- Very basic food handling, preparation, and cleaning skills are welcomed
- Time management and ability to work under pressure to manage high volume of production
- Active listening and learning skills
- Reading and speaking comprehension skills
- Discipline to follow set standards
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs
ADA: SAHospitalityGroupwillmakereasonableaccommodations in compliancewith theAmericans withDisabilities Act of 1990.
Thisjobdescriptionwillbereviewedperiodicallyasdutiesandresponsibilitieschangewithbusinessnecessity.Essentialand marginal job functions are subject to modification.
Federal law prohibits the employment of unauthorized aliens. All persons hired must submit satisfactory proof of employment authorization and identity in order to complete Form I-9 within 72 hours of commencing work. Failure to do so will result in immediate termination.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $23.00
- Max Hiring Rate $28.00
- Job Start Date Tuesday, October 31, 2023
- 390 Park Ave, E 53rd St at, New York, NY 10022, USA