Wildlife Health Manager - San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance
San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a nonprofit international conservation leader, committed to inspiring a passion for nature and creating a world where all life thrives. Empowering people from around the globe to support our mission to conserve wildlife through innovation and partnerships, we support cutting-edge conservation, and bring the stories of our work back to our two world-famous front doors — the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park — giving millions of guests, in person and virtually, the opportunity to experience conservation in action. The deep and extensive knowledge gained from more than a century of experience in wildlife care, health, veterinary services, nutrition and conservation makes us invaluable in the global effort to save species. Our team members play a crucial role in driving our conservation efforts forward and bringing us closer to a world where all life thrives.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The Wildlife Health Manager supports the San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance's mission through supervision of and collaboration with staff and support of clinical operations to optimize wildlife health outcomes. This position reports to the Director of Veterinary Services.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Responsible for the management of Registered Veterinary Technicians and other assigned Wildlife Health staff including, but not limited to, hiring, performance management, staff development, coaching and counseling, and terminations.
- Responsible for management of the hospital procedures calendar including scheduling examinations (preventive, quarantine, preshipment, medical, urgent care) and associated communications.
- Oversight of pharmacy operations and administration of controlled substances program including DEA compliance, monitoring of inventory, conducting regular controlled substances inventory and reverse distribution.
- Effectively coordinate hospital activities and oversee workflow in conjunction with staff from Wildlife Health, Wildlife Care, other SDZWA areas, and outside consultants including updating/implementing new workplace practices as needed.
- Responsible for veterinary equipment service and preventive maintenance.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
An experienced RVT with strong leadership competencies and is inspired to be part of an organization that is committed to protecting wildlife around the globe.
- JOB EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of 3 years paid experience in personnel management in a veterinary environment required.
- Minimum of 5 years paid experience working in a veterinary setting required.
- Experience working in a zoological setting required.
- EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's or Associate's in zoology, animal science, or a related field preferred.
- Graduate of an AVMA accredited program or VMB RVT program upon Hire required.
- California licensure as a Registered Veterinary Technician within 90 Days required.
- Current valid California Driver’s License in good standing required.
- SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Knowledge of applicable veterinary laws and regulations required including those pertaining to the veterinary pharmaceuticals and DEA compliance required.
- Ability to identify and evaluate safety risks required.
- Ability to use word processing, spreadsheet systems, operational software, electronic medical records, and cloud-based storage required.
- Ability to actively listen and communicate effectively both orally and in writing at multiple levels within the organization required.
- Ability to apply critical thinking in problem solving and decision making required.
- Demonstrated ability to build and work with effective, diverse teams required.
- Ability to handle complex situations with a high level of tact and diplomacy required.
- Ability to work effectively in a highly dynamic environment required.
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively required.
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- Location: San Diego, CA
- Position Type: Salaried Full-Time Exempt Position
- Salary Range: $86,200 to $95,320
Be an ally for wildlife by joining our team!
At San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance, we thrive on celebrating our differences. Diversity is vital for the benefit of our team members, our guests, our community, and our wildlife.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
As a Federal Contractor, San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is required to participate in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work in the United States.
San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a drug free workplace.
- 2920 Zoo Dr, San Diego, CA 92101, USA