Maui Bird Conservation Center Avian Recovery Specialist - San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance
San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a nonprofit international conservation leader, committed to inspiring a passion for nature and creating a world where all life thrives. Empowering people from around the globe to support our mission to conserve wildlife through innovation and partnerships, we support cutting-edge conservation, and bring the stories of our work back to our two world-famous front doors — the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park — giving millions of guests, in person and virtually, the opportunity to experience conservation in action. The deep and extensive knowledge gained from more than a century of experience in wildlife care, health, veterinary services, nutrition and conservation makes us invaluable in the global effort to save species. Our team members play a crucial role in driving our conservation efforts forward and bringing us closer to a world where all life thrives.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The Avian Recovery Specialist assists with the recovery of avian species by performing daily care and husbandry of endangered avian species. The position feeds and provides general care and welfare of the assigned avian species. Collects data on avian behavior and breeding; works to prepare birds for breeding and reproduction for eventual release into native habitat. This position reports to a Wildlife Care Supervisor or higher.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Prepares and provides proper husbandry including but not limited to food, water, housing, enrichment materials and structures to promote breeding activity and a thriving environment for assigned animals; evaluates needs of avian species under care and adjusts activities to fit the needs of the animals.
- Prepares and provides proper food and water for animals under care; unloads, and stores food for animals in proper environment.
- Cleans and maintains enclosures, and other areas as assigned according to center standards.
- Observes assigned animals.
- Maintains appropriate health and behavior records on assigned animals, record(s) data using spreadsheets and database systems.
- Performs minor or routine maintenance on enclosures.
- Assists medical staff in treating assigned animals as well as runs diagnostic testing, administers medications and treatments to assigned animals as directed by vet staff.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for an individual that wants to work in conservation of endemic Hawaiian bird species. This entry-level position will learn and utilize animal husbandry, observation, and research skills to help save critically endangered Hawaiian Bird Species. The Avian Recovery Specialist will support the care, breeding and husbandry of critically endangered Hawaiian Bird Species as well as maintaining enclosures, facilities and vegetation. The Avian Recovery Specialist will also be responsible for timely data entry and proofing, participation in team meetings, and helping the team ensure that project objectives, milestones, and research goals are met. The new team member will play an essential role in our Hawaii Endangered Bird Conservation Program and assist with increasing our capacity for habitat and species preservation on the islands. This position is located at the Maui Bird Conservation Center in Olinda, Hawaii and involves outdoor work in all-weather situations.
- JOB EXPERIENCE
- Experience with environmental conservation or education is preferred.
- Prior animal care experience is a plus.
- EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Some college preferred.
- Education, training, and/or 1 year experience which would clearly demonstrate the essential functions, knowledge and skills outlined required.
- SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Basic understanding of animal husbandry, care, and welfare needs required.
- Basic Understanding of Avian behavior; Avian biology and anatomy; zoology preferred.
- Basic Understanding of Care, feeding, and housing of exotic animal preferred.
- Basic Understanding of Safety practices for working with wild avian species preferred.
- Basic Understanding of Monitoring avian behavior and appearance preferred.
- Ability to use common computer programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, or other email systems) and Internet required.
- Ability to learn computer-based record-keeping systems (ZIMS, Survey 123, and others) preferred.
- Ability to learn and perform data and sample gathering techniques required.
- Ability to work in a diverse team environment and motivate others required.
- Ability to work in a team environment and independently required.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize work needed during specific timeframes required.
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with others required.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with others required.
- Ability to understand and follow directions effectively required.
- Must adhere to the organization's policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Ability to accept responsibility and be accountable required.
- Ability to make decisions that support the goals of the organization required.
- Ability to foster a positive work environment that promotes trust and integrity required.
- Demonstrated ability to share key information with others involved in a project or effort, work in harmony to accomplish objectives, respond with enthusiasm to directives, and show support for departmental and organizational decisions required.
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Medical Insurance Options Available
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- Location: Makawao, HI
- Position Type: Hourly Full-Time Non-Exempt Temporary Six Month Union Position
- Hourly Rate: $24.29
Be an ally for wildlife by joining our team!
At San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance, we thrive on celebrating our differences. Diversity is vital for the benefit of our team members, our guests, our community, and our wildlife.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application, please email your request to email@example.com and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
As a Federal Contractor, San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is required to participate in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work in the United States.
San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a drug free workplace.
- 2375 Olinda Rd, Makawao, HI 96768, USA