Maui Bird Conservation Center General Maintenance Worker - San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance
San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a nonprofit international conservation leader, committed to inspiring a passion for nature and creating a world where all life thrives. Empowering people from around the globe to support our mission to conserve wildlife through innovation and partnerships, we support cutting-edge conservation, and bring the stories of our work back to our two world-famous front doors — the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park — giving millions of guests, in person and virtually, the opportunity to experience conservation in action. The deep and extensive knowledge gained from more than a century of experience in wildlife care, health, veterinary services, nutrition and conservation makes us invaluable in the global effort to save species. Our team members play a crucial role in driving our conservation efforts forward and bringing us closer to a world where all life thrives.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The General Maintenance Worker supports San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance's (SDZWA) mission and vision of saving species worldwide. Our Hawai'i Centers, the Keauhou Bird Conservation Center and the Maui Bird Conservation Center, are essential in upholding SDZWAʻs vision and leading the fight against extinction of Hawai'i's critically endangered birds. The General Maintenance Worker is a key position at each center and performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled work in the areas of maintenance, construction, alteration, remodeling and repair of buildings, facilities, equipment, and grounds as required and appropriate to each location (MBCC or KBCC). This person will report to the Wildlife Care Supervisor at each facility.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Installs, maintains, and makes or coordinates repairs to:
- Masonry and Masonry Structures – including wood framing and carpentry.
- Electrical systems - including motors, solar panels, lighting circuits, control equipment, generators, automatic gates, transformers, appliances.
- HVAC – including filtration and duct maintenance.
- Plumbing – including pipes, pipe connections, water catchment systems, sprinkler, and irrigation systems.
- Metal structures – including wire mesh, rust mitigation.
- Maintain grounds, trees, greenhouse structures and general area of the facility, including composting and trash removal.
- Maintain safety program, preventative maintenance program, and repair/maintenance logs including but not limited to the following:
- Works with other staff to plan and prioritize maintenance tasks.
- Creating work logs, schedules, and maintenance records.
- Keep workshop and tools, clean, safe, and orderly.
- Maintain wildlife care and breeding facilities in compliance with mandatory and industry best practice standards per the USDA, IACUC, etc.
- Perform pest control maintaining pig trapping and removal, rat/rodent control by using pesticide, rodenticide and traps.
- Assist in maintenance of doors and locks across facility.
- Assist with troubleshooting, installation, repairs, or coordination of repairs to Audio Visual equipment across facility.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for a worker that has general skills and knowledge in all maintenance areas and is comfortable in utilizing multiple types of tools and working in multiple maintenance fields. The ideal candidate will be well-rounded in their maintenance abilities. This person is expected to have the ability to work independently and think logically to solve maintenance and repair problems including knowing when to hire and coordinate work with outside contractors. They need to be able to maintain positive working relationships with the entire team and will be expected to assist avian recovery specialists to ensure a safe and functioning environment for all.
- JOB EXPERIENCE
- Must have at least two years’ experience in related field required.
- EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Current valid Hawaii Driver’s License required
- SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Strong working knowledge of methods, practices, and procedures in one or more of the building and construction trades – specific knowledge in area of expertise and general knowledge of other trades required.
- Strong working knowledge of tools, equipment and materials used in one or more of the building and construction trades required.
- Familiarity with work and material estimating required. Working knowledge of local building code to ensure installation and maintenance compliance required.
- Demonstrated ability to safely and properly handle and operate the tools and equipment used in the assigned tasks required.
- Ability to make simple arithmetic calculations required.
- Demonstrated ability to tactfully and courteously interact with others in a diverse environment required.
- Ability to understand, interpret and work from blueprints and drawings required.
- Familiarity with common tools and equipment safety required.
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- Location: Makawao, Hawaii
- Position Type: Hourly Full-Time Non-Exempt Temporary Position
- Hourly Range: $31.15 to $34.44
Be an ally for wildlife by joining our team!
At San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance, we thrive on celebrating our differences. Diversity is vital for the benefit of our team members, our guests, our community, and our wildlife.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
As a Federal Contractor, San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is required to participate in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work in the United States.
San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a drug free workplace.
- 2375 Olinda Rd, Makawao, HI 96768, USA