Clinical Laboratory Technician I - San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance
San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a nonprofit international conservation leader, committed to inspiring a passion for nature and creating a world where all life thrives. Empowering people from around the globe to support our mission to conserve wildlife through innovation and partnerships, we support cutting-edge conservation, and bring the stories of our work back to our two world-famous front doors — the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park — giving millions of guests, in person and virtually, the opportunity to experience conservation in action. The deep and extensive knowledge gained from more than a century of experience in wildlife care, health, veterinary services, nutrition and conservation makes us invaluable in the global effort to save species. Our team members play a crucial role in driving our conservation efforts forward and bringing us closer to a world where all life thrives.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The Clinical Laboratory Technician performs assigned clinical laboratory diagnostics, possible field protocols, and assigned projects in various areas within the clinical laboratory. This position reports to the Laboratory Manager, and/or Associate Director of Clinical Laboratory Services.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Receive, process, analyze, bank, ship and may collect, biological samples from wildlife in our care and conservation programs and perform care for banked samples in accordance with banking protocols.
- Responsible for producing and reporting accurate and reliable test results including entering, troubleshooting, and analyzing test results using spreadsheet and database systems and refer questionable findings to senior technicians and/or manager.
- Prepare, arrange, and maintain records for shipment of samples and process receipt of send out results.
- Ensure daily QA/QC in all areas, perform maintenance and calibration of laboratory analyzers, reporting any issues to senior technician
or laboratory manager, and ensure an adequate supply of laboratory supplies.
- Prepare data and related reports for presentation and/or collaboration with other departments.
- Update clinical laboratory, diagnostic, or laboratory field protocols as needed.
- Analyze samples, prepare for shipping and/or storing samples for Biomaterials Review Group (BRG) requests.
- May assist in training and being a resource for less experienced employees and volunteers.
- Adhere to all CDC safety protocols and organization safety protocols including disposing of hazardous waste per safety standards.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
The position is primarily located at the San Diego Zoo Clinical Laboratory, Jennings Hospital with occasional monthly shifts at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park (Escondido), Clinical Laboratory, Harter Hospital.
- JOB EXPERIENCE
- One to two years clinical laboratory, diagnostic testing, animal care, and/or field experience preferred.
- EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Veterinary Technology, Medical Laboratory Technology education required.
- College level coursework in biology or a related field preferred.
- Certification as a Registered Veterinary Technician, Medical Laboratory Technician, Clinical Laboratory Scientist, Medical Technologist, or equivalent required.
- Current valid California Driver’s License in good standing required.
- SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Strong working knowledge of equipment and analyzers used in a clinical laboratory preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing required.
- Working knowledge of computer software including word processing, spreadsheets, medical records and/or database systems required.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks with competing deadlines required.
- Knowledge and ability to handle biohazardous materials and potentially zoonotic samples preferred.
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- Location: San Diego, CA
- Position Type: Hourly Full-Time Non-Exempt Position
- Hourly Rate: $31.15 to $34.44
Be an ally for wildlife by joining our team!
At San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance, we thrive on celebrating our differences. Diversity is vital for the benefit of our team members, our guests, our community, and our wildlife.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application, please email your request to email@example.com and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
As a Federal Contractor, San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is required to participate in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work in the United States.
San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a drug free workplace.
- 2920 Zoo Dr, San Diego, CA 92101, USA