Post Doctoral Associate - San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance
San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a nonprofit international conservation leader, committed to inspiring a passion for nature and creating a world where all life thrives. Empowering people from around the globe to support our mission to conserve wildlife through innovation and partnerships, we support cutting-edge conservation, and bring the stories of our work back to our two world-famous front doors — the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park — giving millions of guests, in person and virtually, the opportunity to experience conservation in action. The deep and extensive knowledge gained from more than a century of experience in wildlife care, health, veterinary services, nutrition and conservation makes us invaluable in the global effort to save species. Our team members play a crucial role in driving our conservation efforts forward and bringing us closer to a world where all life thrives.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The Post-Doctoral Associate oversees research projects and performs a variety of assigned research and diagnostic activities, while completing post-doctoral training in a specialized area of scientific research. This position reports to Scientist level or higher in the Conservation Science & Wildlife Health department.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Oversee assigned research projects.
- Collect, process, and enters research data.
- Perform experiments and measurements.
- Interpret and analyze research results and revises procedures as necessary.
- Establish and maintain databases.
- Document research methodology and results.
- Prepare progress reports.
- Conduct and oversee investigations of study subjects.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
The Disease Investigations group within San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance has an opening for a postdoctoral fellowship. The available position is a full-time, three-year research fellowship for a post-doctoral level researchers with experience in epidemiology and disease modeling. The position is ideal for those interested in applying their epidemiological skill set to solve problems in wildlife conservation associated with infectious disease. The postdoctoral fellowship will focus on applied epidemiology research related to understanding the dynamics and risk of a viral infection in African elephants, elephant endotheliotropic herpesvirus (EEHV). Qualifications include a PhD in epidemiology or PhD in a field of biological science with a strong epidemiology and/or disease modeling component. Experience in interpretation of molecular, medical, and behavior data is highly desired. Competitive candidates will have strong skills in epidemiology study design, database design, quantitative data analysis, and modeling; experience using statistical software is needed. Other desired qualifications include previous work with elephant disease and/or herpesviruses. Postdoctoral fellows will have the opportunity to work with a multi-disciplinary team that includes veterinary epidemiologists, veterinary pathologists, veterinary scientists, clinical veterinarians, an endocrinologist, behavior specialists, and national and international research partners.
- JOB EXPERIENCE
- Position responsible for ensuring compliance with established guidelines.
- EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Post Doctorate or Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine or equivalent specialized training required.
- SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Specialization area preferred. (e.g., population biologist, demography, or genetics)
- Able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Able to operate moderately complex computer software programs
- Demonstrated ability to work with others in a diverse environment.
- Knowledge of science communication or interpretation of scientific concepts.
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- Location: Escondido, CA or San Diego, CA
- Position Type: Salary Full-Time Non-Exempt Position
- Salary Range: $71,200 to $78,760
Be an ally for wildlife by joining our team!
At San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance, we thrive on celebrating our differences. Diversity is vital for the benefit of our team members, our guests, our community, and our wildlife.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application, please email your request to email@example.com and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
As a Federal Contractor, San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is required to participate in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work in the United States.
San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a drug free workplace.
- 15600 San Pasqual Valley Rd, Escondido, CA 92027, USA
- 2920 Zoo Dr, San Diego, CA 92101, USA