Arborist - San Diego Zoo Safari Park
San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a nonprofit international conservation leader, committed to inspiring a passion for nature and creating a world where all life thrives. Empowering people from around the globe to support our mission to conserve wildlife through innovation and partnerships, we support cutting-edge conservation, and bring the stories of our work back to our two world-famous front doors — the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park — giving millions of guests, in person and virtually, the opportunity to experience conservation in action. The deep and extensive knowledge gained from more than a century of experience in wildlife care, health, veterinary services, nutrition and conservation makes us invaluable in the global effort to save species. Our team members play a crucial role in driving our conservation efforts forward and bringing us closer to a world where all life thrives.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The Arborist will support San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance’s mission of saving species worldwide by performing a variety of skilled and semi-skilled work, planting, transplanting, trimming, felling, and pruning of the organizations-owned trees and shrubbery and other sites as directed. This position reports to the Lead Arborist/Supervisor/Manager.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Trims, shapes, and/or prunes trees
- Strips, fells and cuts trees into logs for disposal
- Plants and transplants trees
- Stakes, irrigates and cultivates trees
- Operates cutting tools
- Operates chipper
- Sharpens and maintains tools
- Services and maintains equipment
- Operates a truck in transporting tools, equipment and debris
- Operates power-driven hydraulic boom
- Works from hydraulic boom in trimming, shaping and pruning trees
- Collects browse forage from heights over 12 feet and delivers them to animal compounds
- Models punctuality and professionalism
- Adheres to all SDZWA and department policies and practices
- Works from various heights and trims, shapes, or prunes trees to cut away branches
- Operates cutting tools such as axes, clippers or chain saws
- Typically uses rigging such as ropes, lines, hardware, and work crew
- Typically uses various tree trimming tools such as pruners, pole saws, loppers and brush chipper, chain saws
- Assists in removing whole trees and tree stumps from the ground
- Assists other tree trimming personnel from the ground
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
A minimum of one year of experience with tree care and maintenance. Some experience with pruning, shaping, rigging, take downs and removals with heavy equipment, ie: cranes, loaders, etc. preferred. Candidates must have basic knowledge of tree diseases and pest problems and be acquainted with common tree species identification. Selected candidates must be able to move moderate to heavy objects, work from elevated positions, and operate assigned tools and equipment.
Applicants must be available to work any of the seven days of the week including holidays. Scheduled work hours will be approximately 40 hours per week. A valid driver license in good standing is required. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age. This position requires successful completion of physical ability test.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Communicate and work effectively with others
- Deal tactfully and courteously with the others in a diverse environment
- Respond to cautions from co-workers
- Operate motorized equipment and vehicles
- Competently perform the essential functions outlined above
- Tree biology and identification
- Basic methods, tools, equipment
- Record keeping
- Material used in trimming, felling and pruning trees and shrubbery
- Tree and stump removal methods and practices
- Rigging methods for tree trimming.
- Characteristics of ornamental and shade trees
- Safety practices for tree trimming and pruning
- Fundamentals of tree surgery
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- Location: Escondido, CA
- Positions Type: Full-Time Hourly Non-Exempt Union Position - If selected, there will be fees and dues to be paid to the Union.
- Hourly Wage: $23.61
Be an ally for wildlife by joining our team!
At San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance, we thrive on celebrating our differences. Diversity is vital for the benefit of our team members, our guests, our community, and our wildlife.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
As a Federal Contractor, San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is required to participate in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work in the United States.
San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a drug free workplace.
- 15500 San Pasqual Valley Rd, Escondido, CA 92027, USA