Job Title: Accounting Intern
Come apply your accounting education at Sealaska for the summer! Working with our teams, you will gain experience in the various functions of an accounting department including accounts payable, fixed assets, cash reconciliations, investments, and tax accounting. This immersive experience is designed to give you hands-on practice applying your education to the real world. Corporate accounting is a very diverse field, and the purpose of this internship is to provide you with multiple opportunities in the field of accounting so that you can see what sparks your interest. Additionally, you will have the opportunity to complete a special project during your internship that involves making a recommendation to the accounting team on how to reengineer a current process. This is an opportunity to use everything you have learned in school and in practice over the summer to improve an existing accounting practice.
This internship will take place remotely or via telecommute working with the corporate accounting team based in Seattle, WA, and Juneau, AK.
- Work with the accounts payable team to process purchase orders, invoices, and post journal entries.
- Support the corporate tax accounting team.
- Prepare fixed asset and depreciation schedules.
- Present a recommendation to the team on how to improve a current accounting process.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Completed one or more intermediate level accounting course
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel)
- Able to both collaborate with a team and work independently
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must be a Sealaska shareholder, descendant of a shareholder, or spouse of a shareholder
- Ability to travel, as needed
Education and Experience:
- Must be age 18 at time of hire
- Must be currently enrolled in post-secondary school/program or a recent graduate (1-2 years)
- Legally authorized to work in the United States
- Major or minor in Accounting
- At least a 2.5 GPA
- Strong critical thinking and research skills
- Self-starter with ability to adapt to a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to travel as needed
- Complete online application at Sealaska.com/careers by January 22, 2024.
- Submit a resume and recent transcript (unofficial) with online application.
- You may be asked to provide proof of your status as a Sealaska shareholder, shareholder descendant, or shareholder spouse.
- You must successfully complete a background check prior to onboarding at Sealaska.
About Sealaska Intern Program
The Sealaska intern program exists to uplift Sealaska shareholders and their descendants pursuing post-secondary education with meaningful career experience, learning opportunities, and a supportive community. Interns explore career interests, grow professional skills, and connect with the unique and vibrant cultures of the Tlingit, Haida, and Tsimshian people. You will spend the summer with peers who share an Alaska Native heritage, learning from each other and building a community as you venture into your careers. Learn more at sealaska.com/careers/summer-internships.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
The physical and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to perform computer-based tasks and processing for up to 8 hours, including sitting or standing, mousing, interacting with information on a computer monitor.
- Must be able to lift and carry or otherwise move 25 pounds regularly.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Bending or standing as necessary.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will primarily work in an office setting. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
This description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills or working conditions associated with the position. It is intended to accurately reflect the activities and requirements of the position, but duties may be added, deleted, or modified, as necessary. This description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Employment Indicator Internship
- Min Hiring Rate $22.00
- Max Hiring Rate $22.00
- Travel Required Yes
- Sealaska Corporation, 1200 6th Ave., Seattle, Washington, United States of America