Accounting & Finance Intern
Job Title: Accounting & Finance Intern
Location: Juneau, Alaska
Spend your summer with the accounting and finance team of Huna Totem Corporation, the village corporation that serves the Village of Hoonah in Southeast Alaska. The Accounting & Finance Intern with Huna Totem will be able to apply accounting classes and gain experience in a variety of accounting functions. You will learn about Huna Totem’s businesses, including Alaska’s only privately owned cruise ship destination, Icy Strait Point, and investment practices. You will work with the team on general ledger review, the accounts payable process, internal audit tasks, task return preparation, and more.
This internship will take place in Huna Totem’s office in Juneau, AK. You may spend some time at Icy Strait Point in Hoonah, AK as well.
- Learn an overview of accounting and finance activities in a corporation with many businesses
- Assist with general ledger review, accounts payable, and tax return prep
- Perform various intern audits tasks
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Completion of two years of school with accounting classes
- Organization and research skills
- Able to both collaborate with a team and work independently
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must be a Sealaska shareholder, descendant of a shareholder, or spouse of a shareholder
- Ability to travel as needed
Education and Experience:
- Must be age 18 at time of hire
- Must be currently enrolled in post-secondary school/program or a recent graduate (1-2 years)
- Legally authorized to work in the United States
- Completion of business or accounting courses
- At least a 2.5 GPA
- Strong critical thinking and research skills
- Self-starter with ability to adapt to a fast-paced work environment
- Complete online application at Sealaska.com/careers by January 22, 2024.
- Submit a resume and recent transcript (unofficial) with online application.
- You may be asked to provide proof of your status as a Sealaska shareholder, shareholder descendant, or shareholder spouse.
- You must successfully complete a background check prior to onboarding at Sealaska.
About Sealaska Intern Program
The Sealaska intern program exists to uplift Sealaska shareholders and their descendants pursuing post-secondary education with meaningful career experience, learning opportunities, and a supportive community. Interns explore career interests, grow professional skills, and connect with the unique and vibrant cultures of the Tlingit, Haida, and Tsimshian people. You will spend the summer with peers who share an Alaska Native heritage, learning from each other and building a community as you venture into your careers. Learn more at sealaska.com/careers/summer-internships.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
The physical and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to perform computer-based tasks and processing for up to 8 hours, including sitting or standing, mousing, interacting with information on a computer monitor.
- Must be able to lift and carry or otherwise move 25 pounds regularly.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Bending or standing as necessary.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will primarily work in an office setting. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
This description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills or working conditions associated with the position. It is intended to accurately reflect the activities and requirements of the position, but duties may be added, deleted, or modified, as necessary. This description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Employment Indicator Internship
- Min Hiring Rate $22.00
- Max Hiring Rate $22.00
- Travel Required Yes
- Juneau, AK, USA