Location: Camp Rappahannock, Richardsville, VA
Position Type: Seasonal
About this opportunity:
This position is responsible for serving as a lifeguard for all camp waterfront operations; provides constant surveillance of waterfront activities; maintains the cleanliness of the pool and lake area; monitors and controls the chemical levels of pool water ensuring proper levels are maintained at all times; prepares pool records in an accurate and complete manner; plans swimming activities at camps pool and waterfront.
- Provides emergency lifesaving assistance to swimmers; performs lifesaving C.P.R. and first aid in accordance with certified practices and procedures; contacts emergency medical assistance when needed; stays with victims until emergency medical assistance takes over care of victim.
- Performs all duties in accordance with prescribed regulatory compliance guidelines as well as American Camp Association accreditation standards.
- Assist in maintaining swimming pool and lakefront programs.
- Ensures the camp staff and campers know and follow safety and educational procedures in boating by assisting in the implementations of staff training for boating, train other staff in their boating responsibilities and ensure campers and staff follow safety procedures for boating.
- Provides constant surveillance of pool and waterfront activities to help prevent and manage injuries.
- Directs and supervises the behavior of all swimmers to ensure compliance with pool safety rules.
- Evaluate aquatics abilities of campers and staff.
- Teaches swim classes as assigned.
- Monitors opening day swim try-outs, free swim, water carnivals, and night swims.
- Maintains changes in weather and responds appropriately and in cooperation with established camp guidelines for waterfront evacuation; guides campers in a calm and orderly manner.
- Assists with movement of swimmers and conduct rainy day activities with campers.
- No personal swimming when campers swim period is in session.
- Maintains the cleanliness of the pool water; vacuums bottom of pool surface; scrubs side walls; back washes filter system; checks filter gauges and regulates water level and temperature of pool.
- Cleans rest rooms, deck, baby pool and grounds.
- Monitors and controls the chemical levels of pool water ensuring proper levels are maintained at all times.
- Provides pool records in an accurate and complete manner.
- Maintains neatness and cleanliness of waterfront area; collects and disposes of trash.
- Daily inspection and cleaning of paddle boats, pontoon boat, dock areas and life jackets.
- Makes sure that all boating equipment is secured and locked before personnel leave the lake area.
- Monitors waterfront activities to include swimming, boating, canoeing, etc.
- Everyone must leave the waterfront/pool area before leaving the area.
- Participates enthusiastically as a member of the camp staff team to deliver and supervise evening programs, special events, overnights and other all-camp activities and camp functions.
- Sits with camper tables during meals and serve as a table monitor when needed.
- Keeps personal living quarters neat, clean and ready for inspection.
- Be available to participate and assist with camp programs and activities as directed by the Camp Director.
What we are looking for in you:
- One year experience working as a life guard preferred
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Certification as a Lifeguard by a nationally recognized certifying body; Life Saving Certification
- C.P.R. and First Aid Certification
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:Some physical requirements of the Camp Lifeguard – Aquatics/Lakefront position could be endurance including climbing, standing, some bending, stooping, and stretching. Eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate lifeguard equipment and activities are required. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate camper activities/programs and the ability to lift up to 50 lbs. Have a willingness to live in a camp setting and work irregular hours delivering a program in the facility available. Operate with daily exposure to the sun and heat and varying environmental conditions.
To learn more about Salvation Army Camps, click here!
Why work for us?
Since 1907, The Salvation Army has been operating camp programs across the southeast region of the United States. Today, The Salvation Army has eight camps in the Sout and over 40 across the country. Working a Salvation Army camp isn’t like other summer jobs. You will earn an income, you will receive invaluable job experience, and you will make friendships that will last you a lifetime – but, unlike most other summer jobs, you will also powerfully impact the life of a child or teen for the better. At Salvation Army camps, disadvantaged kids (in particular) have three square meals a day, have the opportunity to further develop social skills, learn creation care, feel valued, and encounter God’s love. You will never regret saying “yes” to camp this summer. Apply for a Salvation Army camp and be part of something bigger than yourself: making lives better in Jesus’ name.
Camp Staff Orientation will be held 06/10/2024 – 06/15/2024 and participation is required. The 2024 summer Camp program session will be held 06/17/2024 – 07/20/2024. If you are unable to work the entire season, please let us know on your application.
All employees recognize The Salvation Army is a church and agree that they will do nothing as an employee of The Salvation Army to undermine its religious mission.
To apply, please select the “Apply Now” icon indicated on the job posting.
Application Submittal Period: 11/2023 – 06/2024
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against the basis of disability.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
- Job Family PMC-TEMP/SEAS/CAS
- Job Function Camp
- Pay Type Salary
- 21457 Happyland Dr, Richardsville, VA 22736, USA