Camp Aquatics Lakefront Specialist
Location: Camp Rappahannock, Richardsville, VA
Position Type: Seasonal
About this opportunity:
This position is responsible for planning, coordinating, and participating in safe swimming pool and lakefront programs for campers. Instructs camp lifeguards of their responsibility and provides instruction in swimming, diving, boating, and water safety and provides management to the physical operations of the waterfront’s facilities and equipment.
- Responsible for carrying out all camp and aquatics policies.
- Trains and supervises waterfront staff by assisting in the planning and implementation of staff training, train waterfront and counseling staff in their waterfront responsibilities, supervise waterfront staff to provide a safe and high-quality program, and directly supervise other aquatic staff.
- Manages the physical facilities and equipment in the waterfront program area by setting up waterfront area prior to and during staff training, teach and monitor proper use of equipment, conduct initial and end of season inventory and store equipment for safety, conduct a daily check of equipment for safety, cleanliness and good repair, and submit orders for equipment and supplies when needed, ensuring timely arrival of materials
- Performs all duties in accordance with prescribed regulatory compliance guidelines as well as American Camp Association accreditation standards.
- Instruct Camp Lifeguards – Aquatics/Lakefront as to responsibilities and duties.
- Coordinates time off schedule for all Camp Lifeguards – Aquatics/Lakefront.
- Opening day of each camp assign Camp Lifeguards – Aquatics/Lakefront to supervision locations and conduct swim try-outs. Ensure that all campers have placed on their wrists appropriate color wrist band based on their swim test.
- Ensures the proper ratios are maintained.
- Periodically review the skills of the other lifeguards and lookouts to ensure they are fulfilling their responsibilities.
- Conducts rescue drills for the lakefront and for the pool. Log all drills.
- Schedules rotations for lifeguard positions during free swim.
- Assists with special waterfront events, working with program staff assigned to that program each week.
- Maintains a clean pool according to health department standards as well as checking chemical levels every day.
- Record chemical levels in a log book.
- Coordinates daily pool maintenance.
- Cleans lakefront/pool area daily keeping it free of hazards of debris.
- Ensures that camp staff and campers know and follow safety and educational procedures in boating (assist in the implementation of staff training for boating, train other staff in their boating responsibilities).
- Ensures a safe lakefront with proper rescue equipment on hand and secure and lock up all boating equipment before lifeguard personnel leaves the lakefront area.
- Conducts daily check of area and equipment for safety, cleanliness, and good repair.
- Assists in the planning of any special events on or near the waterfront.
- Conducts rescue drills for the aquatics and lakefront and log all drills.
- Participates enthusiastically as a member of the camp staff team to deliver and supervise evening programs, special events, overnights and other all-camp activities and camp functions.
- Sits with camper tables during meals and serve as a table monitor when needed.
- Keeps personal living quarters neat, clean and ready for inspection.
- Be available to participate and assist with camp programs and activities as directed by the Camp Director.
What we are looking for in you:
- Two years’ experience monitoring and coordinating waterfront/swimming activities preferred
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Certification – Lifeguard training from a nationally recognized body or Swim Instructor Certification from a nationally recognized certifying body or Instruction or Instructor Trainer rating from a nationally recognized boating or watercraft organization or equivalent certification.
- Life Saving Certification
- C.P.R. and First Aid Certification
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions: Some physical requirements of the Camp Aquatics/Lakefront Specialist position could be endurance including climbing, standing, some bending, stooping, and stretching. Eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate aquatics/lakefront equipment and activities are required. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate camper activities/programs and the ability to lift up to 50 lbs. Have a willingness to live in a camp setting and work irregular hours delivering a program in the facility available. Operate with daily exposure to the sun and heat and varying environmental conditions.
To learn more about Salvation Army Camps, click here!
Why work for us?
Since 1907, The Salvation Army has been operating camp programs across the southeast region of the United States. Today, The Salvation Army has eight camps in the Sout and over 40 across the country. Working a Salvation Army camp isn’t like other summer jobs. You will earn an income, you will receive invaluable job experience, and you will make friendships that will last you a lifetime – but, unlike most other summer jobs, you will also powerfully impact the life of a child or teen for the better. At Salvation Army camps, disadvantaged kids (in particular) have three square meals a day, have the opportunity to further develop social skills, learn creation care, feel valued, and encounter God’s love. You will never regret saying “yes” to camp this summer. Apply for a Salvation Army camp and be part of something bigger than yourself: making lives better in Jesus’ name.
Camp Staff Orientation will be held 06/10/2024 – 06/15/2024 and participation is required. The 2024 summer Camp program session will be held 06/17/2024 – 07/20/2024. If you are unable to work the entire season, please let us know on your application.
All employees recognize The Salvation Army is a church and agree that they will do nothing as an employee of The Salvation Army to undermine its religious mission.
To apply, please select the “Apply Now” icon indicated on the job posting.
Application Submittal Period: 11/2023 – 06/2024
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against the basis of disability.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
- Job Family PMC-TEMP/SEAS/CAS
- Job Function Camp
- Pay Type Salary
- 21457 Happyland Dr, Richardsville, VA 22736, USA