Camp Nurse Assistant
Location: Camp Rappahannock, Richardsville, VA
Position Type: Seasonal
About this opportunity:
This position is responsible for assisting the Camp Nurse in the day-to-day medical needs of camp staff and campers; assist in reviewing medical information; assists Camp Nurse in dispensing medications to staff and campers as needed according to physician’s prescription. Assists the nursing staff as needed
- Ensures the health and safety of all campers and staff by providing a safe environment as determined by the ACA Health and Wellness Accreditation standards.
- At the beginning of each camp assist in making sure all cabins, pool, challenge course, office, etc. are supplied with full first aid kits for emergency use.
- Assists Camp Nurse with registration day check-in and paperwork.
- Assists during the registration process of checking campers upon arrival at camp for lice and other evidence of illness, injury or communicable disease.
- Assists with reviewing all Health History Forms (camper and staff) within 24 hours of their arrival (verify that everyone at camp has a Health History Form on file), and identify any camper or staff who has a health or medical situation that needs to be discussed with the Camp Director.
- Assists the Camp Nurse with dispensing medications to staff and campers as needed according to physician’s prescription.
- Assists Camp Nurse during examinations and procedures.
- Assists in supervising and caring for people admitted to the Health Center.
- Assists Camp Nurse in keeping accurate records in the health log of all visits to the Health Center by campers and staff.
- Keeps the nurses’ station clean and stocked.
- Monitors and assists in maintaining health and safety practices while working in other areas throughout camp.
- Assists with transportation to doctor’s office or hospitals.
- Participates enthusiastically as a member of the camp staff team to deliver and supervise evening programs, special events, overnights and other all-camp activities and camp functions.
- Sits with camper tables during meals and serve as a table monitor when needed.
- Keeps personal living quarters neat, clean and ready for inspection.
- Be available to participate and assist with camp programs and activities as directed by the Camp Director.
- May accompany campers off-site for clinic visits.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
What we are looking for in you:
- Two years’ experience in medical and/or health, preferably in a camp or related environment preferred
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- CPR and First Aid Certification
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:Some physical requirements of the Camp Nurse Assistant position could be endurance including climbing, standing, some bending, stooping, and stretching. Eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate equipment and activities are required. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate camper activities/programs and the ability to lift up to 50 lbs. Have a willingness to live in a camp setting and work irregular hours delivering a program in the facility available. Operate with daily exposure to the sun and heat and varying environmental conditions.
To learn more about Salvation Army Camps, click here!
Why work for us?
Since 1907, The Salvation Army has been operating camp programs across the southeast region of the United States. Today, The Salvation Army has eight camps in the Sout and over 40 across the country. Working a Salvation Army camp isn’t like other summer jobs. You will earn an income, you will receive invaluable job experience, and you will make friendships that will last you a lifetime – but, unlike most other summer jobs, you will also powerfully impact the life of a child or teen for the better. At Salvation Army camps, disadvantaged kids (in particular) have three square meals a day, have the opportunity to further develop social skills, learn creation care, feel valued, and encounter God’s love. You will never regret saying “yes” to camp this summer. Apply for a Salvation Army camp and be part of something bigger than yourself: making lives better in Jesus’ name.
Camp Staff Orientation will be held 06/10/2024 – 06/15/2024 and participation is required. The 2024 summer Camp program session will be held 06/17/2024 – 07/20/2024. If you are unable to work the entire season, please let us know on your application.
All employees recognize The Salvation Army is a church and agree that they will do nothing as an employee of The Salvation Army to undermine its religious mission.
To apply, please select the “Apply Now” icon indicated on the job posting.
Application Submittal Period: 11/2023 – 06/2024
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against the basis of disability.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
- Job Family PMC-TEMP/SEAS/CAS
- Job Function Camp
- Pay Type Salary
- 21457 Happyland Dr, Richardsville, VA 22736, USA