STAFF SOFTWARE ENGINEER, DATA
Under general supervision, formulates and defines system scope and objectives through research and fact-finding, documentation, coding, and testing required to develop or modify moderately complex information systems. This position is tasked with building modern software to connect people with the transportation and moving industries through technology.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Technical Skills:
- Consistently writes production-ready code that is easily testable, easily understood by other developers, and accounts for edge cases and errors. Understands when it is appropriate to leave comments, but biases towards self-documenting code.
- Understands the testing approach of several teams and uses quality metrics to identify gaps. Works with those teams to recommend solutions that are in accordance with accepted testing frameworks and the testing pyramid. Influences organization wide testing strategy.
- Proficient at using systematic debugging to diagnose all issues within a set of related domains.
- Fosters a culture of observability across several teams and helps them use operational data to improve stability and performance of their domains.
- Has expertise in a set of related team's domains, including the breadth of services, how they interact, and data flows between systems.
- Works across teams to foster a culture of architecture that allows for iterative, autonomous development and future scaling. Guides several teams in anticipation of future use cases and helps them make design decisions that minimize the cost of future changes.
- Actively works with the security team, as well as across several teams, to apply the organization's security strategy. Fosters a security first mindset across those teams, leading by example.
- Reviews cross-team work critically and ensures it’s appropriately broken down and prioritized, and well understood by all involved teams.
- Ensures cross-team dependencies are noted and well understood by all teams involved and other relevant stakeholders. Works across teams to foster a culture of priority setting and urgency in alignment with organizational strategy.
- Effectively handles risk, change, and uncertainty across several teams. Decides and acts responsibly in their work across teams without having the total picture during routine business, as well as when in high pressure situations.
- Successfully manages cross-team commitments, their progress, and roadmap to delivery. Anticipates and communicates blockers, delays, and cost ballooning across teams, before they require escalation. Ensures expectations across teams and stakeholders are clarified between all parties involved.
- When taking action, weighs cost and value in order to make the most economic action. Uses this thinking in their own work, and to foster a culture across several teams where people apply economic thinking to make timely decisions.
- Feedback, Communication, Collaboration:
- Fosters a culture of delivering praise and constructive feedback across several teams as well as their respective business stakeholders. Actively demonstrates these behaviors.
- Works across several teams and with their business stakeholders to foster a culture of seeking out feedback and using it as a tool for growth. Actively demonstrates these behaviors.
- Is able to communicate effectively with a diverse set of teams. Fosters a culture of clear, concise, effective, audience-oriented communication across several teams, ensuring teammates actively listen to others and are understood. Actively demonstrates these behaviors. Pays attention to nonverbal communication.
- Fosters a culture of documentation and knowledge sharing across several teams and their respective business stakeholders; actively demonstrates these behaviors.
- Consistently works across teams to help them resolve blockers, and complete work tasks. Ensures that credit is shared and given where due.
- Works to build and improve strong relationships with engineers and managers across the organization as well as relevant business stakeholders for several teams. Leverages relationships to better plan for and position those teams.
- Fosters a culture across several teams where people are encouraged to share their opinions and contribute to discussions in a respectful manner, approach disagreement non-defensively with inquisitiveness, and use contradictory opinions as a basis for constructive, productive conversations. Works through surface-level disagreements to expose the concerns of disagreeing voices and integrates these concerns into their perspective and plans.
- Takes ownership of decisions made across teams by helping them make clear decisions in alignment with organizational goals, backing decisions made, and taking responsibility for their success. Raises awareness for how biases impact decisions and ensures accountability is practiced throughout those teams. Demonstrates these behaviors themselves.
- Fosters a culture across several teams of having conversations based on organizational strategy and principles to create alignment. Strongly oriented towards goals and ensures several teams are continuously working towards their goals.
- Thinks about practices and processes that affect several teams, discusses improvements with appropriate parties, and drives implementation. Usually collaborates with others to improve organizational practices and processes.
- Facilitates discussions across teams, ensuring that everyone has an opportunity to share their opinion and be heard, and that discussion outcomes tie to stated goals. Ensures relevant parties are included in discussions. Guides discussions toward decisions, clarifies and gets buy-in.
- Mentors across teams in an open, respectful, flexible, empathetic manner. Fosters a culture of mentoring across teams by seeking out mentoring opportunities for themselves and others and supports others in their growth as mentors.
- Strategic Impact:
- Usually involved in strategic organizational decisions and plans. Leads cross-team strategic efforts, influencing decisions to achieve cross-team alignment on major goals.
- Recognizes product opportunities and differentiators in relation to the competition. Often helps refine roadmaps across teams based on technical strategy & constraints. Helps to define & create new product abilities by changing technical strategy or constraints.
- Technical expertise with data modelling and data mining techniques:
- Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including Postgres and MongoDB.
- Experience with cloud environments (Microservices / AWS / Docker / Kubernetes)
- Experience of using Git / GitLab /GitHub
- Hands-on experience with SQL database design
- Experience with big data tools such as Kafka, etc.
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools
- Great numerical and analytical skills
Education, License or Certification:
Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems or equivalent experience.
6-8 years of experience in IS Development
We foster diversity, in part, by imposing a strict policy of non-discrimination. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, disability, veteran or military status, genetic information or other status protected by the law.
We value the unique skills and experiences that veterans and separated service members bring to our workforce. While serving our country you have gained skills such as leadership, flexibility, and agility, which will help to make you successful here. We are dedicated to supporting military families and ensuring that we provide a welcoming environment for our country’s heroes. We hope you consider joining the UniGroup family.
UniGroup is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, UniGroup will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact email@example.com
- Job Family IT
- Job Function Individual Contributor
- Pay Type Salary
- Fenton, MO, USA
- St. Louis, MO, USA