Under general direction and working closely with the Sr. Director, Cargo Litigation, outside counsel, and other senior attorneys in the Law Department, investigates and evaluates liability and potential damages, on assigned high-risk/high exposure litigated cargo loss and damage claims in accordance with established procedures. This role assists the Sr. Director, Cargo Litigation and other enterprise stakeholders in the resolution and management of household goods and logistics cargo loss and damage claims and lawsuits; investigating and preparing written briefs for federally mandated arbitration of disputed cargo claims; tariff collection litigation; pursues subrogation opportunities; investigates regulatory complaints and prepares appropriate responses; handles delay claim disputes; customer service disputes and assists the Sr. Director, Cargo Litigation in managing other sr. litigation adjusters and reviewing and revising litigation adjusters’ ‘written work product, and other duties as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Shows excellent work ethic and writing ability, drafting clear and comprehensive written communications to internal and external parties, and possessing excellent verbal communication skills.
- Effectively and efficiently communicates with agents, principals, claimants, attorneys for consumers and attorneys hired by the company both verbally and in writing.
- Works closely with Senior Leaders to identify litigation trends, suggest improvements based upon lessons learned, and assists in efforts to respond to changes in the legal environment.
- Maintains accurate file documentation/data in the law department matter management system and cargo claims system.
- Collaborates in the defense and resolution of disputed cargo loss and damage claims, disputed claims submitted to binding arbitration, customer service disputes, collection disputes and litigation, and other customer service disputes.
- Analyzes liability and damage data in connection with the most challenging and complex claim disputes.
- Represents UniGroup subsidiaries in court proceedings, mediations, and settlement conferences.
- Works closely with outside counsel to develop litigation and/or settlement strategy to limit the company’s and its disclosed household goods agents’ exposure.
- Negotiates resolutions of disputed claims/arbitrated claims/ lawsuits and various customer service disputes via the extension of appropriate claim settlement authority in accordance with established procedures.
- Examines legal documents, venue data, verdicts reporters, and outside counsel reports and recommends advisability of defending and/or prosecuting lawsuits.
- Undertakes research of case law, statutes, and regulations to fully evaluate disputed cargo claims/lawsuits. Investigates and identifies subrogation-related opportunities.
Education, License or Certification:
- Juris Doctor degree from an ABA-approved law school and Missouri or other appropriate state law license.
- At least two years’ experience in-house or in private practice in insurance defense law or litigation or equivalent experience.
- Working knowledge of transportation, trucking, and moving/storage industry experience a plus.
We foster diversity, in part, by imposing a strict policy of non-discrimination. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, disability, veteran or military status, genetic information or other status protected by the law.
We value the unique skills and experiences that veterans and separated service members bring to our workforce. While serving our country you have gained skills such as leadership, flexibility, and agility, which will help to make you successful here. We are dedicated to supporting military families and ensuring that we provide a welcoming environment for our country’s heroes. We hope you consider joining the UniGroup family.
UniGroup is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, UniGroup will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact email@example.com
- Job Function Individual Contributor
- Pay Type Salary
- Fenton, MO, USA
- St. Louis, MO, USA