970-Transportation - 6065-970 P/T Bus Driver I
Under general supervision, on an assigned shift, operates a passenger bus accessible to handicapped persons on a designated route and on demand response basis in the Laguna Woods Village Community and to adjacent areas; performs related work as required. Work involves extensive contact with residents.
- Performs federally mandated pre-trip inspection before start of shift and if bus is changed during shift.
- Drives a bus in a safe manner to designated stops; screens all passengers entering to assure only residents use service, gives directions to passengers requesting help. Operates wheelchair lift or other boarding devices, pushes wheelchair bound passengers on bus and straps wheelchair to bus floor and aids ambulatory and semi-ambulatory passengers on and off the bus.
- Utilizes knowledge and understanding of different disabilities to assure a safe ride to and from the passengers’ intended destinations
- Reports accidents immediately to dispatcher, requesting police or ambulance service as needed. Completes Company accident report. Reports any maintenance problems encountered while driving the bus. Utilizes all available gauges and instrumentation and knowledge of bus components and function to communicate problem accurately.
- Attends safety meetings and other meetings as requested.
- Regular attendance required. All duties performed on-site for the Community.
Extensive work experience involving public contact or any equivalent combination of education and experience which produces the following:
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the job.
- Knowledge of the geography of the community.
- Ability to learn controlling rules, regulations and procedures.
- Ability to learn the basic components of a bus and their function and communicate effectively with mechanics.
- Ability to read, understand, interpret and explain rules and regulations.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Ability to relate to the needs and concerns of senior citizens.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public and to deal with public relations problems courteously and tactfully.
- Skill in driving buses, recreation vehicles or related heavy vehicles.
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license.
- Possession of a Commercial B License with passenger endorsement.
- Medical Examination Report Form (MCSA-5875) is required every year to drive at VMS.
- Enrollment in the DMV Pull Notice Program.
- Enrollment in the Random Testing Program for Controlled Substances and Alcohol.
- Ability to pass the Functional Capacity Test showing ability to safely handle and secure passengers using mobility devices upon hire and on an annual basis.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $15.82
- Max Hiring Rate $20.37
- 24351 El Toro Rd, Laguna Woods, CA 92637, USA