Transportation Data Team Lead
SUMMARY: ATransportation Data Team Lead position is open for immediate full-time employment for qualified candidates with expertise in the data analysis, project management, and staff supervision. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the transportation technology consulting field in the areas of: 1) vehicle transportation electrification, 2) connected and automated vehicles, and 3) advanced vehicle technologies. Qualified candidates will have a degree in computer science, information technology, engineering, or a relevant scientific field. Leadership experience in a research or consulting environment is a plus. The position is located in Energetics’ Columbia, MD office with occasional travel to attend technical meetings throughout the U.S. or other office locations (e.g., San Diego, CA or Clinton, NY). Remote work location will also be considered.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead the vision, strategy, and execution of data architecture, engineering, and statistical concepts to support the data needs of Energetics.
- Supervise a team of senior and junior data analysts, while using experience to mentor/coach them on the following data analysis activities:
- Leverage both cloud and open-source data tools for data loading, transformation, and quality metrics, and creation of data tools
- Constructing ELT/ETL data pipeline to aggregate data from multiple sources
- Leveraging tools such as Azure Data factory and dbt to automate data movement and transformation from ingestion to production databases
- Designing SQL databases to capture all relevant data attributes for analysis stage
- Developing testing methods to ensure data ingestions and stores data elements are consistent and accurate
- Implementing data process improvements for collecting and cleaning data
- Identify, design, and implement processes to automate manual tasks and data delivery
- Create and maintain data and orchestrations pipelines
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet business requirements
- Build and maintain data infrastructure using Azure cloud tools
- Work with Energetics’ Program Directors to understand data analytical needs.
- Actively manage and delegate current and newly awarded data analysis projects to data analysis team staff.
- Develop data analytics approaches for current, new and future work opportunities.
- Assess research needs and support development for Energetics’ transportation data analysis services.
- Interpret, translate, and present data structure and trends as needed.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS (INCLUDES EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, COMPETENCIES, ETC.):
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, or a relevant scientific field
- Five (5) years of relevant experience in the field of data analysis (can include a combination of advanced degree and relevant work experience)
- Two (2) years of project management and staff supervisory experience
- Proficiency with data analysis, results summarization, data visualization tools, specifically:
- Knowledge of SQL, Python, and a data visualization tool such as PowerBi
- Familiarity with data pipeline and workflow management tools: Azure Data Factory, Airflow, etc.
- Familiarity with Azure cloud services
- Familiarity with Big Data tools: Databricks, Spark
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making capabilities.
- Strong interest in the transportation and energy fields.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, interpersonal, and written).
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Comfortable multitasking on time-sensitive tasks without diminished quality of work.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software, including Teams and Sharepoint.
- Ability to supervise a diverse team both virtually and in-person.
- U.S. citizenship is required to meet federal contract requirements.
- Willingness to make occasionally travel to attend technical meetings or visit other Energetics’ offices.
- Five (5) years of project management and staff supervisory experience.
- Energy sector experience, specifically in the area of transportation with on-road vehicle applications.
- Familiarity with electric vehicle and charging infrastructure solutions and relevant data.
- Analytical model design, development, and execution (e.g. consumer choice, cost-benefit, and lifecycle).
- Experience with the visualization and statistical relevance of data.
- Familiarity with vehicle telematics software and data.
- Experience working in cloud computing environments (Azure, Google Cloud, AWS).
- An understanding and interest in transportation technologies, the science behind them, and the technical challenges for deployment in today’s market.
- Familiarity with the following subject areas:
- Light-, Medium-, and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles
- Advanced vehicle technologies and applications for energy/transportation system efficiency and/or emissions reduction
- Vehicle powertrain electrification and charging infrastructure
- Connected and automated vehicle technologies, use cases, and near-term priority applications
VSE is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, Protected Veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
At VSE, we don’t just hire employees; we nurture careers and champion well-being. We understand that our success is driven by the people who make up our incredible team, and that’s why we’re committed to providing a workplace that goes beyond just a job-it’s a place where you can truly flourish. When you choose VSE, you’re choosing a company that prioritizes YOU.
Let us tell you why:
Time Off: Enjoy Paid Time Off to relax and recharge.
Family Support: We offer Paid Maternity Leave and Paid Bonding Leave, along with access to our Employee Assistance Program, ensuring your family’s well-being.
Education: Pursue your educational goals with Tuition Reimbursement for Undergrad, Technical, and Graduate Programs.
Financial Security: We offer a 401(k) and Employee Stock Purchase Plan to secure your financial future. Healthcare: Your health is essential, and we provide Health, Dental, and Vision Care.
Flexible Spending: Take advantage of HSA, FSA, and Dependent Care plans for added flexibility.
Insurance: We've got you covered with Short-Term and Long-Term disability insurance.
Competitive Salaries: Your hard work is rewarded with competitive salaries. Ready to be part of a company that values you as much as your skills and expertise?
Join VSE and let’s take your career to new heights while ensuring your well-being every step of the way. Come grow with us. Your future begins here. Apply TODAY!
- Job Family Operations
- Pay Type Salary
- Columbia, MD, USA