Group Exercise Instructor - Ellicott City (Dancel)
Overwhelmingly, people who decide they want to be a part of the Y in Central Maryland tell us they do so because it reflects their values and a conscious decision, they’ve made about how they choose to live their lives. The happiest and most fulfilled Y associates are those who are motivated to help others and who want to be a part of something larger than themselves. If this speaks to your heart, then we invite you to join our team. Be a part of a charitable, mission-driven organization that works for individual and community well-being for all, for a better us.
Under the supervision of the Association Director of Group Fitness, or other assigned associate, Group Exercise Instructor 2 is responsible for delivering excellent services to all members, guest, and program participants. The primary function of the Group Exercise Instructor 2 will be to highly engage with members, guest, and program participants by providing/teaching high quality, appropriately challenging, and fun group exercise class; and also providing a safe and welcoming environment that promoted group interaction.
- Reports to work in uniform a minimum of fifteen minutes prior to assigned shift in order to receive communications and instructions from supervisor or associate, and to prepare the appropriate space.
- Provide excellent services to members, guest, and program participants in the Y center, on the phone, and through email exchange
- Through engagement, build meaningful relationships with members, guest, and program participants with positive and solution driven interaction
- Promote wellness concepts that embody well-rounded healthy and safe lifestyle
- Obtain and maintain group exercise certification, and continuous education on formats
- Maintain needed CECs, certification requirement, and ongoing trainings needed
- Adhere to the class style, format, and certification requirements while teaching
- Embody sensitivity and patience in dealing with diverse membership and wellness levels; avoid intimidated wellness environment
- Coach and encourage members to meet their wellness goals
- Maintain administrative responsibilities including recording class size and ongoing communication for supervisor
- Monitor, clean, and inspect equipment regularly; report any challenges or concerns
- Adhere/enforce to all policies, guidelines, rules, and best practices as outlined by the Y in Central Maryland with positive interaction
- Leader in handling conflict, concerns, member frustrations, and unusual center situations
- Informing proper leaders of operating challenges and/or conflicts during operating hours (either with members and/or associates)
- Focus on quality experiences and engagement within programs, services, and activities
- Promotes a professional image and maintains a clean and safe environment at all times.
- Ability to work with diverse population, all ages, genders, and sexual orientations
- Attend and actively participate in all meetings as assigned
- Incorporate the four character values of the Y: Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility and adhere to the Y Code of Conduct
- Communicate the Y mission and objectives to the community.
Group Exercise Instructor 2 will meet the qualifications set forth by the Y in Central Maryland. Associates shall be of good character and reputation; capable of carrying out assigned responsibilities; capable of accepting training and supervision; and capable of communicating effectively both orally and in writing as applicable to the job responsibility. Minimum qualifications include:
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community
- Ability to be effective communicator
- Required to have Stand-alone specialty certification (e.g. Les Mills, Zumba, etc.)
- Required to have two of the following:
- Nationally recognized accredited group exercise certification (e.g. ACE, ACSM, AFAA, NETA, AEA)
- Bachelor’s degree (in related fitness field)
- At least 1-3 years’ experience in fitness and/or group exercise
- Proficient computer skills
- Current CPR/AED/O2/First Aid certification (or within 30 days of hire)
- Flexible Schedule, days, nights and weekends
- Completion of new associate training (including Child Abuse Prevention) before scheduled to work
- Job Family Fitness/Wellness
- Pay Type Hourly