YMCA Buffalo Niagara is looking for talented individuals with a passion for the YMCA mission and cause, an understanding of YMCA programs and services, and whose everyday priorities are a reflection of the core YMCA values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
Founded in 1852, YMCA Buffalo Niagara is the second-oldest YMCA in the United States and one of the oldest institutions in Western New York. As a charitable, community-based organization committed to providing programs designed to build a healthy spirit, mind, and body for all, YMCA Buffalo Niagara serves the Western New York community with six membership branches, two overnight camps, and over 50 program locations. No one is turned away due to an inability to pay - each year, more than 2,800 children and families benefit from our annual campaign, which provides over $1.4 million in financial aid to those who wish to participate in YMCA programs such as child care, summer camp, or membership.
YMCA Buffalo Niagara is an equal opportunity employer committed to valuing diversity and practicing inclusion.
Facilitates member retention through relationship building and active engagement with all members in the Wellness Center. Implements exercise programs for individuals and small groups.
GENERAL WORK SCHEDULE:
15 hours per week. Shifts are scheduled between 6am and 11am on weekdays and between 8am and 1pm on Saturday.
Complimentary YMCA Buffalo Niagara family membership, discounted program fees, and an outstanding work environment. Employees are immediately eligible to enroll and contribute to the Y Retirement Fund’s 403B plan and will receive a 12% employer paid Y Retirement contribution after eligibility requirements are met.
Other benefits include paid sick leave, leadership development opportunities, training, and career advancement.
- Interacts and engages with every member in the Wellness Center. Provides supervision, encouragement, and assistance.
- Implements exercise programs for individuals and small groups.
- Instructs members how to properly use workout equipment and monitors members for injury prevention and proper equipment use.
- Maintains a safe environment and responds appropriately to emergency situations.
- Enforces YMCA policies and ensures that members comply with Wellness Center rules and regulations.
- Maintains organized records and follows up with members.
- Interprets and communicates the Y’s mission, objectives, and programs to members and guests.
- Follows department protocol to clean and disinfect commonly used surfaces.
- Cleans equipment, maintains the cleanliness of the Wellness Center as directed.
- Participates in the development, promotion and implementation of health and well-being events, including Healthy Kids Day and membership campaigns.
- Maintains required certifications and establishes personal goals for self-improvement and professional growth.
- Attends department staff meetings and participates in training sessions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Current CPR/AED and First Aid certification from the American Red Cross, American Heart Association, or American Safety & Health Institute (ASHI).
- YMCA Strength & Conditioning Instructor Certification is required within one year of employment.
- One year of practical experience in the health and wellness field is preferred.
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to develop positive, authentic relationships with people from different backgrounds.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hiring Rate $14.75
- Job Start Date Monday, October 9, 2023