With more than 60,000 members across Chester County, our programs and facilities are always based on the unique needs and interests of the communities we serve. In addition, our volunteers, staff, members and donors are all united by a deep commitment to continually strengthen Chester County.
Job Title: Lifeguard
Branch: West Chester Area YMCA
Pay Class: Part Time
Shifts: All shifts available from 5am-9pm M-F, 7am-7pm Sat/Sun
About the YMCA of Greater Brandywine: The YMCA of Greater Brandywine (YGBW), an association of eight YMCAs serving Chester County, is a non-profit organization committed to nurturing the potential of every child, promoting healthy living and fostering social responsibility through life-changing programs for all.
Position Purpose: The lifeguard is responsible for the guarding and safety of members and program participants within all aquatic facilities. This role will be responsible for carrying out and enforcing aquatic policies and procedures in compliance with statutes as described by the State of Pennsylvania, the YMCA of the USA, the YMCA of Greater Brandywine, the lifeguard licensing agency Ellis and Associates, and YMCA insurance representative.
- Actively scanning the assigned zone of coverage every 10 seconds and getting to the farthest point within another 20 seconds.
- Each rotation lifeguards should perform a profound bottom scan of their zones as they rotate in and rotate out.
- Position self so that glare, building components, or floating play structures do not compromise the view of the pool bottom of the entire area of responsibility.
- Guard from one of two positions: (1) in an elevated chair at the edge of the pool OR (2) standing or patrolling within one foot from pool edge at all times.
- Change body position every five minutes in accordance to Jeff Ellis & Associates “5 Minute Strategy” Standards.
- Never leave the pool deck unguarded for any reason.
- Be “Rescue Ready” (feet flat, fanny pack, rescue tube in front of or on side of body at all times with slack being carried in your hand and whistle) at any time.
- Actively participate in all in-house required drills, including mock drills and monthly in-house trainings. Respond to all drills as if they were live situations.
- Close the pool if conditions are unsafe and alert a supervisor immediately. Follow the Association Thunder and Lightning Policy.
- Act professionally and responsibly when communicating with members.
- Follow association guidelines to swim test and mark all children age 14 and under in accordance with association protocols.
- Consistently and always enforce all pool rules with courtesy and fairness.
- Assist with maintaining a clean facility by following the down duties for each branch and/or any other responsibilities while on rotation away from actively lifeguarding.
- Ensure compliance with all YGBW policies and standard operating procedures.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Must be 15 years of age or older
- Current lifeguarding certification from Ellis & Associates or transferred Ellis & Assoc. lifeguard certification
- Current CPR for the Professional Rescuer, First Aid, Oxygen Administration, AED, and Bloodborne Pathogens
- Complete required monthly in-service hours of Ellis & Associates in-service training and scanning skills,
- Obtain and maintain all additional new hire certifications and training within 90 days of hire
- Making a difference in a person’s life every day.
- Fun, fast-paced work environment
- Working for a diverse and inclusive community-based non-profit
- Opportunities for training and advancement
- Free Family Membership (all members of the family membership must live in the same household)
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Pay Type Hourly