Restaurant Chef de Cuisine (FT)
Crystal Mountain, 12500 Crystal Mountain Drive, Thompsonville, Michigan, United States of America
Friday, June 16, 2023
The Restaurant Chef is responsible food production, food quality/consistency, and upholding/ maintaining kitchen cleanliness. The Restaurant Chef ensures that all food production workers are performing their duties as assigned by the Executive Chef. In conjunction with the Sous Chef, the Restaurant Chef is responsible for employee development, ordering, scheduling, attending meetings, etc.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for assisting Executive Chef in the selection, training, supervision and success of all Thistle kitchen staff members.
- Capable of creating a motivational atmosphere and a cohesive food and beverage team.
- Actively involved in the daily operation of being a “hands on” Chef through modeling proper culinary techniques and working alongside the staff.
- Adhere to all resort performance standards to ensure that all guests have an outstanding dining experience.
- Check event order sheets for ordering, production, and personnel scheduling.
- Coordinate staffing levels and food preparation daily, to ensure the timing and flow of food service meets the demand, while maintaining budget goals.
- Enforce internal cost and labor controls. Maintain appropriate staffing levels in relation to expected business. Work in conjunction with the outlet Sous Chef in scheduling.
- Assist with creating seasonal menus based on current trends and guest preferences. Take an active role in the Farm to Table dinner series.
- Supervise kitchen mise en place of all stations.
- Establish par levels for food items, kitchen supplies, and other necessary products needed to operate the Thistle Kitchen. This includes producing prep forecasts based on house counts, business forecast, previous experiences, date, etc. Post the prep lists for all kitchen staff to see.
- Maintain clean and organized storage areas for all food items, and for proper rotation.
- Oversee the compliance of state health regulations in the safe handling, storage, and service of all food items.
- Ensure all china, glassware, silver and kitchen equipment is properly sanitized, racked, and/or stored.
- Lead the “clean as you go” techniques that ensure all kitchens, dish rooms, storage and other central areas are both clean and safe.
- Comply with all Resort policies, procedures and standards of operation.
- Perform other duties and tasks as required.
- ServSafe Certified.
- Microsoft Excel, Word, Access, Outlook proficiency.
- Effective business writing skills (grammar, vocabulary, clarity and brevity).
- Clear and concise verbal communication skills.
- Self-directed and able to maximize use of time and resources.
- Exhibits a professional demeanor through appearance and by maintaining a positive attitude toward all staff members and guests.
- Maintains office, employee and company confidentiality at all times.
- Dependable and meets goals.
- Exemplifies professional conduct and adherence to company Core Values.
- Two year Associate’s degree or a Bachelor’s degree from a four year college desired.
- Must have a minimum of 8 (eight) years kitchen experience with a minimum of 2 (two) years management experience.
Physical & Other Requirements:
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear and taste or smell.
- The employee is frequently required to walk and climb or balance.
- The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Evenings, weekends and holidays are a regular part of the schedule.
- Must have excellent attendance and conduct record for consideration.
- Non-smoking candidates preferred.
Crystal Mountain is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. 2020 Bronze Level Veteran Friendly Employer.
Established in 1956, Crystal Mountain is a family-owned, four-season resort destination located 28 miles southwest of Traverse City and a short drive from Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. The resort features lodging, dining, downhill and cross-country skiing, two championship golf courses, shopping, award-winning Crystal Spa, Michigan's only alpine slide, the Park at Water's Edge, Michigan Legacy Art Park, weddings and a conference center. Visit www.CrystalMountain.com.