Culinary Supervisor (FT)
Crystal Mountain, 12500 Crystal Mountain Drive, Thompsonville, Michigan, United States of America
Thursday, June 8, 2023
The Culinary Supervisor is responsible for the supervision and training of kitchen staff, in addition to the production, quality assurance, and profitability of all menu items.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with menu planning and maintaining a high level of quality and profitability in The Thistle’s offering. Shall include input into capturing and capitalizing on foodservice trends with Kinlochen Chefs - Manager/Executive Chef.
- Coordinate staffing levels and food preparation daily to ensure the timing and flow of food service meets the demand.
- Train back of the house staff to clean kitchen equipment carefully and safely to prevent damage or injury.
- Assist in planning, assigning, and directing work, appraising performance, rewarding and coaching employees, and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Recruit & give recommendations to Chef team for back of house positions.
- Monitor culinary staff hours to protect labor cost overages based on business demand.
- Document and report any disciplinary concerns with Thistle Chef team & Executive Chef.
- Assist in monitoring and controlling stock levels daily, weekly, monthly, ensuring there are no shortfalls.
- Recommend and implement preparation to reduce costs of goods sold and supervise all kitchen personnel to ensure correct methodologies are followed.
- Maintain a clean and safe work area, adhering to food safety and health standards.
- Ensure food ingredients are stored in their designated areas and rotated in the proper manner.
- Assist in creation and execution of daily features, including Peak Performance features, which must meet strict nutritional guidelines, and incorporate local ingredients when possible.
- Proficient at all stations, including a complete understanding and ability to grill or sauté meat to proper internal temperatures, to order and run the wheel, thereby setting the tone and flow of the kitchen dining service.
- Possess an understanding of food allergies and sensitivities such as nut, gluten, seafood and milk.
- Possess an understanding of the dangers of cross contamination.
- Possess an understanding of requirements and restrictions of vegetarian, lacto-ovo vegetarian, vegan, and pescatarian diets.
- Possess an understanding of internal food temperature requirements and ranges for meats, seafood, and poultry, and the ability to cook foods to the proper internal temperature.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Previous supervisory experience preferred.
- ServSafe Certification required.
- Advanced knife skills with the ability to execute all knife cuts with advanced speed and efficiency are required.
- Clear and concise verbal communication skills.
- Able to read labels and directions.
- Self-directed and able to maximize use of time and resources.
- Ability to work under pressure and take initiative in a fast paced environment
- Dependable and meets goals.
- Exemplifies professional conduct and adherence to company Core Values.
- GED or High School Equivalent required.
- Any combination of education, training, and/or experience which demonstrates ability to perform the required duties.
Physical & Other Requirements:
- Minimum of 18 years old due to use of mechanical equipment and work hours.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to be on ones feet majority of workday.
- Evenings, weekends and holidays are a regular part of the schedule.
- Must have excellent attendance and conduct record for consideration.
- Pre-employment background check, survey and references required.
- Non-smoking candidates preferred.
Crystal Mountain is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. 2020 Bronze Level Veteran Friendly Employer.
Established in 1956, Crystal Mountain is a family-owned, four-season resort destination located 28 miles southwest of Traverse City and a short drive from Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. The resort features lodging, dining, downhill and cross-country skiing, two championship golf courses, shopping, award-winning Crystal Spa, Michigan's only alpine slide, the Park at Water's Edge, Michigan Legacy Art Park, weddings and a conference center. Visit www.CrystalMountain.com.